Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Muzzleloader Cleaning

Shovelbuck

I'm curious...............................
How do you guys that shoot black powder substitutes from inlines clean your guns?
What about plastic build up from sabots?
Your tips and tricks appreciated:way:
Please also state which powder you are using with your cleaning technique.

Last edited:
I don't do anything special. Hot water and dish soap. I pull the breech plug and throw it in the bucket. I then take a 20 guage felt tipped ramrod and run it through the barrel a couple times. I then run 2-3 patches down it, even though it is usually clean.

I then let it dry and run a couple dry patches down it and remove any grease etc I see. Once she is dry, I put her back together and store the bleech plug out of the gun until I plan on using it.

I have never had a problem with plastic from the sabots. I have been cleaning mine this way for the past ten years and haven't noticed any corrosion or fouling of the barrel, so its good enough for me.

I use 777 and the hot water with dish soap as well. I'm kind of a cleaning maniac though, so I often run powder solvent soaked patches down the barrel as well, followed by a bristle brush with a couple patches wrapped around it. Sometimes foaming bore cleaner for the trigger assembly. Let it dry. Run some more patches. Also never had an issue with plastic buildup.

Breech plug goes into my hot water/soap bucket and later gets cleaned with pipe cleaners until every last speck of grease is out of the threads and primer hole. Then i regrease it and put it back in my gun if it's in-season. End of season it's outta the gun and dry.

I use triple 7, and will take the gun apart if I have been to the range or done a lot of shooting, use a brush and the TC cleaner, pull the breach plug and throw it into hot soapy water. During the season if I have just fired the weapon once I just run two patches with TC cleaner then a dry patch and then a patch with bore butter. At the end of the season take the gun apart.

Keep the replies coming guys. I know there are more than three of you that have cleaned your muzzleloader. At least I sure hope you clean them;)

If it is during a season and if I have just fired a shot or two, I usually swab the barrel with a Knight or Rusty Duck patch and dry with clean patches. Then when the season is done or it will be a couple days until hunting again I will take it apart use HOT( boiling) soapy water to wash everything and HOT water to rinse everything also. On the Knight that includes the breech plug, bolt, trigger, and barrel. Then the heat will dry every thing and while still warm i will use just a bit of Rem oil on bolt and trigger and grease on the breech plug threads and Wonder lube in the barrel. For Storage I put a Wonder lube greased patch in the end of the barrel and a disc in the bolt and drop the hammer on it and wipe every thing down with Rem oil. Pretty much the same procedure for the Lymans but with Wonder lube on the nipple threads. I mostly use Pyrodex pellets in the Knight and loose in the Lyman. I picked up a box of 777 pellets to try this year so we will have to see how that goes.

In season, if I've shot once or even just loaded and unloaded several times, I'll pull the plug and run a couple of patches soaked in TC No. 13 down the barrel. Usually, I'll put the patch over a bronze bore brush. Also clean up the plug and regrease with CVA grease with Teflon.

If I've shot several times or putting it away for the season, I'll do the hot water scrub down. I've also got some CVA cleaner that's supposed to remove plastic fouling. I've used it too and never had a problem. Usually use Rem Oil inside and out after the thorough cleaning.

Oh, I use Pyrodex pellets and Powerbelt bullets.

I shoot barnes spitfire TMZ propelled with 100 grains blackhorn 209 and a winchester shotshell primer

My cleaning regiment goes something like this. I use 3 patches soaked in butch's bore shine. I run each patch down the barrel 7 times before moving on to the next. After wet patches I run 3 dry patches 7 times each.

If it's between hunts or after a lot of shooting I'll pull the breach plug, put a few drop of solvent on the recessed end of it and clean the fouling out with a patch then soak it in hot soapy water while I finish the barrel. I also run a TC bore seasoning patch down it a few times. I know this procedure gets my omega clean so each time I clean it I do the exact same routine so I know it is in the same state that I last shot it at and sighted in at.

Hot water when using Triple-7. Just tried Blackhorn and all was great until it came to cleaning time (no, I did not use water for it). I'm headed to that thread now to see if I did something wrong or if I am one of the few who hates that part of this substitute.

Top Bottom