Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Muzzleloader Question

F

fitzt

I am still New to Muzzleloaders.

I bought a Knight .50 Cal Disk 3 yrs ago.

Was just wondering what most of you use for a charge, (Anybody use 150 Grains) and if anybody has used the Power Belt bullets, and if so what Grain?

If you look at the ballastics sheet that should be included with your bullets, it should tell you how many grains of powder for each grain of bullet. The hornady bullets for example;

240 xtp;

using pyrodex powder at 90 grains, leaving the muzzle it will be .810 low

at 50 yards it will be 2.25 inches high

and at 100 yards it will be dead on

If you used this you would know where your gun was going to shoot at these yards, and it also helps if you are putting on some type of scope to get it where it needs to be.Check your box and see if they reccommmend anything.
I don't know for fact, but alot of people have said anything after 120 grains, then you are just burning it out the end of your barrel, and just waisting powder.

I have two Knight 50's and one is on two 50grain pellets, and the second is on the new triple seven sulfer free at 90 grains.I am only using the pellets for my son because thet are easy to dump down the barrel.After this year both guns will be on the triple seven.What a difference there is in cleanup.Triple seven takes only a fraction of the time.Smells better too.

I have played with several bullet/gun/powder variations, and it seems they all shoot better when the charge is 120 gr or less. I have a new T/C Omega on order, and can't wait to get it. I am sold on the Hornady XTP or XTP Mag line of bullets. They have done everything I have ever asked, and are a heck of a lot less expensive than those in the fancy packages.

I shoot 150 grains with a 240 grain sabot and it shoots very well out to nearly 150 yards. When sighting in I've seen little difference in drop between 100 and 150 grains at less than 100 yards.

Fitz, if I could make a suggestion every muzzleloaders different and will shoot loads differently.Play around with differentloads and grains of powder till you find what your gun likes.A guy I know whos been in the muzzleloader industry a long time said you should start at 80 grains and work your way up in 10 grain increments till the bullet quits rising on the paper.After that your not gaining anything by adding more powder in terms of velocity, its just blowing out your barrel unburnt and causing unnecasary fouling.

Ive been using the new 777 powder this year and am impressed with it.it burns hotter, gives you better velocity, and cleans up good with plain soap and water.I know a lotta guys swear by the power bely bullets but like everyone else that replied I shoot the Hornaday in 240 grn.

That's a great piece of info, Horst. I'm going to try that. It makes sense.....if the bullet stops rising, you won't be gaining any velocity. I'll try that before venturing out for late muzzle.

The triple 7 powder is hotter and will deliver equal velocities at about 15% less volume.if you wish to avoid water, windex works well for clean-up.I use 130 grains of pyrodex right now behind Barnes 250gr MZ expanders.130 grains is about where I see diminishing returns on powder volume with pyrodex in my gun with a 24 inch barrel.Works great to 150yds.

woods

Horst, Maybe I'm missing something, but how can the bullet rise? I think your test goes against physics.

Greendeem, I believe he is referring to higher impact on paper at a given distance, probably 75 or greater. The higher point of impact would mean higher velocity. Once you get more powder in the barrel than you can burn, before the bullet exits the barrel, you will get no more velocity. If you are looking for minimum drop at extended ranges this is good advise. If you are looking for compromise best accuracy with suitable velocity, you will generally find you end up with a little less than max charge. However, most good bullets will still give good accuracy at max.

Thank you buckhusker.You are right about better accuracy below max charge, i only went up to 90 grns sighting my in and it grouped so well i didnt go any higher.The reason I posted that was because he asked about 150 grns of powder and in a lotta cases that does more harm than good.Ill stick with my earlier statement, play around with different loads till you find one your gun likes
smile.gif

Hey Fitzt. Nice gun and a good one I might add. I have the same smokepole and I wouldn't trade it for anything else out there. The gun was made to shoot 150 grains of powder. Thats three 50 grain pelets. I shoot 150 (three pelets) grain, with a knight red hot 220 grain sabot. Very deadly out to 150 yards. Even at 200 yards I still get 4 1/2 inch groups. I just killed a 1000 lb moose with this exact setup. Shot the animal in the chest at 50 yards and the bullet traveled the whole length of the body and lodged under the skin of the hind quarters. The bull took 3, maybe 4 steps before falling over dead. Thats devastating!! The idea behing the disc rifle was to eliminate the need to "build" a powder charge. The only thing you should have to worry about is which bullet groups the best from your particular gun. A friend has the same gun as us, shoots 150 grains of powder but gets better accuracy from a 300 grain bullet. Each gun is different. But you shouldn't have to mess around with powder.

Top Bottom