Muzzleloader

Good questions StillHunter, I am as anxious as you for answers from people with experience.
My only personal experience with CVA is an inline my father bought ?15? years ago. It was nothing to look at and very inexpensive. We had to do some grinding on the trigger assembly to get a smooth pull, however eventually we got it setup and tested some loads. Even back then when I sighted it in at the rifle range, many people were quick to share negative opinions but no one spoke from personal experience with CVA. It is still accurate and dependable today, as my 76 year old father proved on another doe this last October.
With a cheap 4X scope it shoots consistent 5" and better groups at 100 yards. That is a 15 year old gun, with the 150 year old technology of a 1 in 66 twist and 385 grain buffalo bullet conicles. I'd guess CVA has pretty well kept up with the big boys in the last 15 years.

[This message has been edited by IaCraig (edited 12-10-2001).]

I would say go with a Knight. I love mine and they are tough as nails and accurate as anything (if not better than) anything out there. And better yet...they are home grown in Centerville, Iowa!!
Good luck and good hunting!!

I have a Knight MK-85 Stainless, 50 cal.that was given to me by my father. I previously used a CVA patch & ball kit rifle that I bought for $75. I would never have paid the $$$ for the MK-85 but after having it I can vouch that it is a good piece of machinery. I shoot only 100 grains of powder and it does the job out to 100+ yards with no problem. Like mentioned before they are assembled in Iowa. Probably the cheaper wolverine or other model would be just as good as the MK-85 as they are basically the same barrel & mechanics. I think the 150 grain, sure fire guns are a sales gimmick in my opinion. My hunting buddy bought a .45 cal DISC rifle this season and it does not perform any better than his MK-85 except he believes he should shoot farther now.

I just started in the ML area so I'm no expert by any means. But I have read a lot of posts on a different forum and would be willing to bet the cost difference is in the barrel. The quality of the barrels that aren't apparent to the naked eye, but affect the overall accurancy. People who own Knights, Thompson, Austin Halleck,and White expect more out of a gun, and they get it. By this I mean shooting 2"-3" groups or better, at 100 yards is common for these guns.
If you are interested in a less expensive Knight you could always buy one with a blemished stock. They sale them at Natchezz Shooters Supply.
Otherwise I feel that Gander Mountain will beat price out there.

Back