Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Muzzleloader ???????????

blake

Life Member
I have in the past tried shooting sabots through my .50 Knight muzzleloader. But I found sabots to be hard to load even after I ran a spit patch down the barrel between shots. At the time I tried the sabots I was shooting Black Powder or Pyrodex powder.

For the past two years I have been shooting Power Belt bullets because I felt that they loaded much easier than sabots.

Last year I switched to Triple 7 powder. Triple 7 powder seems to have a good deal less fouling than the Pyrodex did. So I am going to make the switch this year from Power Belt bullets to sabots.

I have been shooting 120 grains of powder. I have at times gone up to 150 grains.

Now for my questions:

1.What kind of Sabot do you shoot?
2.What kind of bullets do you prefer?
3.What grain of bullet?
4.What is your preferred powder charge?
5.Does anyone have any experience with T/C Shockwave bullets and sabots?

Enough questions for now, I hope that some of you will respond to this post and thank you in advance.
smile.gif

I've had real good luck with 777 pellets and Hornadays new 300g.SST, which is the same bullet as the Shockwave just not packaged for T/C. Also I cut my groups in half by going from the 250g. to the 300g. bullets. Not as flat shooting but now I can shoot better and they've got to hit harder down range. 100g. or 130g. shoot good just depends on the gun, but from most people I've talked to it seems like the T/C Encore is the only gun that shoots best with a 150g. charge. Good Luck and let us know what works best for you. I am shootin my combo through a CVA Optima Pro and average 1 1/2" groups at 100yds.

1.What kind of Sabot do you shoot? MMP Blue
2.What kind of bullets do you prefer? PR Dead Center
3.What grain of bullet? 220 but 240 is OK too
4.What is your preferred powder charge? about 120 grains, less is OK like 105-110 grains works really well, more tears up the sabots.
5.Does anyone have any experience with T/C Shockwave bullets and sabots? Not me.

Shooting them out of the same gun as you and love it. They load easy and shoot great groups but I always clean between shots.

Out of my .50 cal T/C Omega I'm shooting 250 grain Barnes Expander MZ sabots ahead of 150 gr. (3) triple 7 pellets.
1" groups at 100 yds. all day, and tremendous expansion on game. Every bullet I've recovered has had 95% or better bullet weight retention and mushroomed textbook!

Have Fun, Hunt Safe,
>>--Ron--<>

hey blake.

in my old disc i shoot 150 grns of 777 and a 250 grn sabot from cabelas that is a great combo for that gun. But it doesn't work at all in my other gun so I've tried a several different combos so far with not much luck yet.

But those sabots from cabelas I really like. They have nice down range accuracy, energy and retention was real good (90%) on the bullet I recovered from my deer last year.

I've been staying around the 250 grn area on my new gun but I may have to go heavier if I can't get it to my liking later today. And I've been shooting 150 grns of 777 also but that may have to change also. The hole point of this rambling on is that you may have to do experiment a lot to get it right.

Here's something I've tried in the past and it works pretty good. Decide how much powder you want to use. Doesn't matter if it's loose or pellets. Then match a bullet or sabot to that. It may cost a few bucks to get find the one you want but it works.

good luck

I used my Knight Disc rifle on several deer last year. I used the Shock Wave bullets and 2 Pyrodex pellets or 110 grains of loose Pyrodex. All but one dropped in their tracks and that one was knocked flat and then crawled and pushed himself for about 40 yards. I recovered only 2 bullets and they were mushroomed well but I didn't weigh them. I just got a new scope and intend to zero with this same load this weak.

Top Bottom