Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Muzzy 3 blade v. 4 blade

Jdubs

Looking to tweak my setup for next season. I want to go to Muzzy's and was wondering if 3 or 4 blade is better and why. Thanks.

as far as performance i would venture to say there's no difference between a 3 or 4 bladed muzzy. i prefer the 4 blade because that's one more blade that cuts a swath through the deer.

Muddy,

The reason I was curious is I know the 3 blade fits together differntly than the 4 blade. Didn't know if blade configuration made a difference.

the blade configuration makes no difference in how they fly. i think that both set ups are top notch and would not hesitate to use the 3 bladers but first i have to ruin the 6 four bladers i've been using for the past decade.
waytogo.gif

I started with Muzzy three baldes, went to 4 blades and am back to three blades, all 100 grains. Here is my reasons. The first year I hit a deer and got clean pass through, I thougth it would be nice to try 4 blades. They just look "deadlier". So I switched. That year I hit a deer quartering tword me in the shoulder so the arrow was medial to the front leg at about a 45 degree angle from the mid line. The head penetrated the bone behind the shoulder joint just enough to puncture the left lung. Then I started to look at the difference in the heads. The heads weight the same, 100 grains, but there are 4 blades as opposed to three. So how do they make up for the weight of the 4th blade? They make them shorter and increase the angle from tip to base so the 4 blade actually contacts more flesh which slows the arrow faster which results in less penetration. The blades on the three are longer and not as great an angle tip to base. I can't remember the cutting diameter of either the 4 or the 3, but I think the 3 is less than the 4. Again, Im not sure but I think the 4 creates more drag as it goes through tissue and bleeds off KE quicker than 3 blades. For lack of better terms, they just look "blunter" than the three.

Don't know if this makes any scence, and I'll stand corrected if I'm wrong.

The 'Bonker

i think you made your homemade margaritas a bit too strong 'bonkerboy!
wink.gif
i don't think that the amount of kinetic energy taken off due to having an extra blade would even be measurable. i think the reason you didnt get the best penetration was because of the quartering too shot. you might have contacted a bit more meat and gristle in that shoulder area than you would if you just hit rib cage. as far as diameter of them i can never understand measuring a diameter with only three points to measure from as opposed to the 4 bladers which have nice easy measuring. don't get me wrong i know there's some geometrical crap you work off of but i'd rather not get into it.
smile.gif

I'll stay with my 3 blades. Actually, two blades are enough and each blade slows penetration. You would think that the razor sharp cutting edge would make it penetrate easier but that is not the case. Each blade has resistance.

Bonker,

I don't know but it makes sense. Does anyone recall the website that lists testing results of broadheads. I saw it once and can't remember the address.

jdubs - i'll have to do some searching when i get home from "work" today. as far as the "best" broadheads out there all of the comparison tests i read were with the 3 bladed muzzy's and the muzzy's placed in the top 2 or 3 of EVERY test i read.

end of the story is if you put either a 3 or 4 bladed head of ANY design into the boiler room you'll kill the deer.

Muddy,
Just for conversations sake I bought both 3 and 4 blade and shot them today. I shot them from a Hoyt Cybertech at 70lbs, using Easton XX78's(2315's). Both shot well, but the 3 blades shot consistently 1 1/2 inches to the left; with the 4 blades shooting dead on. In addition, I plan on switching to Easton Axis 400's for next year. Noticeable difference in heads just don't know why. I think I'll give it a rest and try a second volley in a little bit.

interesting. you would think that if the 4 bladers were that touch wider that they would plane a bit opposed to the 3 bladers which appear to be doing it instead.

after doing a quick re-read i'm VERY surprised that the 3 bladers shot left espeically considering the lincoln logs you're shooting them on!!
wink.gif

you're shooting almost the same set up as me. i'm shooting my 4 bladers on GoldTip XT 55/75s, at 72 pounds, out of a hoyt RazorTec. i switch from field tips to the broadheads and thankfully don't have to move any sights. the REALLY odd thing is that my field tips are 75 grains and my broadheads are 115 grain.

figure that one out!! granted, i don't practice with the broadheads past 40 yards so i bet there would be SIGNIFICANT drop past that considering how much weight difference there is. oh well, i've never been accused of doing anything normal.
grin.gif

By the way penetration seemed to be about the same. I'll give a second report after shooting both again. Probably can't shoot til morning, but standby.

HEY! after looking at that page a little closer that is the same test site but he isn't showing all the tests. he's upgraded his site quite a bit, pretty sweet! good job ruddy, that's why you get paid the big $$$.
grin.gif

Top Bottom