Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

My 2013 Bow Review

jkratz5

Not a pro by any means, just an average guy, but did shoot just about every major bow out there in 2013 and wanted to give a brief review of each of them.

I have a shop about 60 miles south of me that carries just about every major bow out there (Bowtech, Hoyt, Elite, PSE, and Mathews) so I headed down there (actually multiple times) to shoot them all. All bows were 70lbs @ 28" DL. My only real want was a bow < 34" ata, decent brace and of course a shooter.

Started off with my bread and butter for the last 8 years, Bowtechs:

1. Experience - Was very excited to shoot this bow, a lot of hype before it's release and Bowtech made it sound like they had hit a home run. While it was a nice shooter, I didn't really think it had much on the Insanity from the year before. Similar draw cycle (not the smoothest), pretty good back wall, but quite a bit slower than the Insanity.

2. Destroyer LE - Decent bow, really no different than the destroyers from a few years ago. The 350 isn't the smoothest drawing bow but it is a rocket. The looks of this bow are very sharp, but the Experience and Assassin were better shooters.

3. Assassin - Probably the best deal out there on a quality bow. I personally thought it had the best draw cycle, wall and felt the best of all the Bowtechs. Very quiet bow with a nice brace that makes it feel very forgiving. Also, you can get this thing ready to shoot for $650, really a steal for what you get.

Next was Mathews:

4. Creed/Chill - Not a huge fan of either for the same reason. Both had fairly harsh draw cycles compared to the other major bows out there. These bows were very quiet at release although they did have some hand shock (without a stab). Quickly put these two bows down and went to the next

5. ZXT - Mathews is promoting the wrong bow, this thing was a shooter. Very smooth draw, ok back wall, whisper quiet at release and dead in the hand. It made my top 3 and I picked it up time and time again to shoot it. The one thing that got me on this bow is it is really short, 28" and it feels shorter than that with the long brace height. Probably the main reason I choose not to purchase it. But at $799 it is a much better bow than the Creed and Chill.

Hoyt:

6. Carbon Element G3 - Very nice bow. Draw was pretty smooth, a bit of a dump after peak weight that I didn't feel with the other bows (felt this in both the Hoyts) not much of a back wall at all. Felt great at release, not much hand shock but there was a bit of noise on this bow. Couldn't tell if it was the bow or if there was noise coming from the rest, but definitely something there. Ultimately, the price had me running :)

7. The Spyder 30 - Really thought this was the better of the two Hoyt bows. Draw was very similar to the G3, a better back wall than the G3 but nothing compared to some of the other major bows. This bow was whisper quiet at release and very little shock. Not really my traditional experience with a Hoyt. Although I didn't get speeds on any of the bows, this bow seemed the quickest to me, really a rocket. Actually was very impressed overall with this bow, definitely worth taking a look at if you are in the market.

Elite:

8. Answer - First Elite I put my hands on this year. Tremendous all around bow. Best draw cycle out of all the bows I shot, probably better than the Hunter. Quick ramp up to peak and then tapers off nicely into valley and to a solid back wall. Scary back wall, people mention you have to push the string forward on this bow to get it to release and the are right, you have to shoot it to experience it. At release the bow was dead in the hand and very quiet. I found myself going back to this bow time and time again. Ultimately, the ata probably made me not choose the Answer, it pushes 34" and was just a bit on the long side for me. All around great bow however.

9. Pulse - Didn't like it at all. Didn't have the smooth draw like the Answer or Hunter, and definitely could tell it was a speed bow. However, it was a rocket and for a speed bow was a decent shooter.

10. Hunter - Much like the Answer just an all around sweet bow. Draw cycle is amazing on this bow, very similar to the Answer but maybe a little more ramp up to peak weight. No valley dump and dead at the back wall. The one I shot was 71.2lbs and held at just over 11lbs, could have held that thing for 10min. Bow was whisper quiet at release and no vibration at all. With the shorter ata and 7 3/4" brace height I decided that it was going to be the one going home with me. So far it has been a great shooter and can't wait to get her in the tree. Ordered in AP Snow with matching Stokerized Stab, TreeLimb Quiver, Sword Twilight Hunter Sight, QAD HDX rest and pushing 361 grain Gold Tip pro 5575 arrows. Bow chrono average was 288 fps @28" so it is pretty quick and like I said before you will be hard pressed to find a better shooter. Took off the Winner's Choice strings and had custom strings put on by Scottie's Custom Archery in PA, and topped it off by a tune by Scottie. This is the second bow I have ordered from Scottie and his strings are top notch and the guy can really tune a bow. Pics aren't the greatest as they are from the phone in lower light but they will do for now.

I know a lot of guys on here started shooting Elites in the past 3-4 years and now I know why. Not the fastest of the bows out there but easily the best shooters.

I will admit, I have a 3 year old Bowtech SWAT currently, and all of these bows are better shooters than the SWAT and probably many of the bows from 3 years ago. Pretty decent changes in technology that make the draws on all of these bows nicer and I think every one of these bows was quicker than the SWAT.

Kratz

Ap snow completely disappears against the sky if your on the ground looking up into a stand. Great choice in the bow and camo.

Nice review, I absolutely love my Elite Hunter. The things shoots itself. I always draw early now on animals because I know I can hold draw for as long as I need to.

Please tell me I am reading this wrong and that you didn't have an archery shop set up over 10 bows for you to shoot set up all the same for you and then to thank them you bought the bow online from Scottie and left them hanging.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Please tell me I am reading this wrong and that you didn't have an archery shop set up over 10 bows for you to shoot set up all the same for you and then to thank them you bought the bow online from Scottie and left them hanging.

Scottie did the custom strings and tune.

I was thinking the same thing.

3. Assassin - Probably the best deal out there on a quality bow. I personally thought it had the best draw cycle, wall and felt the best of all the Bowtechs. Very quiet bow with a nice brace that makes it feel very forgiving. Also, you can get this thing ready to shoot for $650, really a steal for what you get.

Bought a used Assassin off a hunting forum without ever shooting one. Very happy with it.;):way:

Man those Elites look sharp. I haven't test shot one for probably 4 years, wasn't that impressed with them back then but I think I'll give them another shot. Congrats on the new bow.

Kratz, you're shopping in my neck of the woods. Was near Scottie's yesterday.

Scottie was recommended to me by several people. I have ordered custom strings and had him tune my two current bows. He is the man when it comes to both.

Kratz

Top Bottom