Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

My dads 2012 buck (Tall Brow) Back from Taxi.

cjgarrett

My dad and i received a text this morning from the taxidermist saying his deer was done. We should have it on the wall by this weekend. We had quite the adventure with this deer!

Our first encounter with this buck was in Nov. 2011. He showed up on trail cameras right before the rut and pretty much stayed in the area for the entire month of November. I saw him one time out of the stand but we had already decided based on pictures that he could use another year. The buck ventured off to his wintering grounds in mid Dec. but we were able to find his sheds in January. Here is our first picture of him.

picture.php

The next year the buck was no where to be found during early season but once again appeared right before the rut. The buck had definitely made the jump in antler size that we were hoping for. After many hours in the stand and ZERO encounters the buck went back to where ever he came from and disappeared again. Lucky for us the buck did come by one of our feeders from time to time during late season. Mostly in the evenings and with no pattern.
Here he is 2012 -
picture.php

With the buck coming into feed during late season i kept the feed out hoping to keep him around long enough to find sheds. I did manage to find his right side in January of 2012. He dropped it 20 yards from the feeder.

Here he is half racked -
picture.php

Now the story gets a little hazy...... He dropped his right antler on the night of the 21st. Our Kansas extended doe season goes until the 31st. Some time in between him shedding out and the end of season another hunter tried to end the story of "Tall Brow" thinking he was a doe....

We knew that this year was the year to kill "Tall Brow," we had 2 years of history with him and knew that he would be back during the first week of Nov. Little did we know that he had turned into a FREAK! To say our first picture of him caught us off guard would be an under statement!

Here he is -
picture.php

His right side had went from a 75+ five point side to a crazy mess of tines. As disappointed as we were to see that he was no longer the 175" typical 10 pointer we were anticipating, we now knew that we HAD to put an arrow in this deer before the neighbor did.

Luckily for my dad the buck made his last mistake on the evening of Nov 9th. The buck had shown himself to many times on one particular camera and we put the pieces together. After 2+ years the story is over for 'Tall Brow"

Here he is at the taxi -
picture.php

Sorry for the long read....

I forgot to mention that we found a broad head in this deers left hind quarter. The deer was perfectly healthy but had to of been shot after he shed out last year.

Thanks guys! My dad and i had an incredible year. How many of you guy would of rather killed him last year vs. this year? Its a question my dad and i still ask each other. His left side (typical 5 with split brow) scores just over 80". He had an 18 inch spread, so if you do the math that would of made him a 178" inch typical 10....

That's a great looking buck! The added history makes the story better for shooting him this year. Honestly though, I like a big clean typical, but who cares! That is a sweet deer!

That's a great looking buck! The added history makes the story better for shooting him this year. Honestly though, I like a big clean typical, but who cares! That is a sweet deer!

I kind of wanted to see him as a big clean 10 but i know we will never see another deer that looks like this! I was excited to know i had the opportunity of finding that goofy shed.... not anymore!

I honestly would rather have him hanging on the wall as he is. Don't get me wrong, I'd be thrilled to shoot a 178" typical ten. But there's not another deer out there that looks like he does, and I personally like a unique rack better than a high scoring rack.

Out of curiosity, though, what did he gross?

He grossed 168 and some change. He has a lot of inches on his goofy side but he does not really get any help with mass measurements. He only has a main beam with a big split brow tine. The other points are all extras. So his mass measurements all come off the main beam...

Cool story, and great deer. Congrats to your dad!

Is that form a McKenzie? I think I have one just like it.

Not sure on the form, Bruce Jameson in Pittsburgh, KS does all of our taxidermist work. I have a deer mounted on the same exact mount too.

Great buck and mount! Seems like we had more deer than normal just throw up weird sides similar to that buck last year... not sure why?

Top Bottom