Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

My dad's first gobbler

MuzzHunter

On a 20ft High
Well this morning I managed to help my dad kill his first tom ever. We went to some ground that we watched 7 birds strutting around in a big corn field. This time we decided to take every decoy we we had because yesterday they wouldn't come into the calling. We got there this morning and set up and in no time we had one gobbling not 120yds from us in a little draw. I started to give him some clucks and I would no sooner finish and he would gobble, sometimes he would even cut me off. After about 20 minutes of him gobbling, the woods around us just started erupting with gobbles. Once it got light enought to see across the field, I did a fly down cackle. Not a minute after I did that the bird that was closest to us flew down. The only thing was he flew the opposite way and my dad's heart kind of sank when the gobble's started going away. I just kept clucking and soon the gobbles were getting closer. Then a couple minutes later dad spotted a bird walking out into the corn field and was headed right towards our decoys. Then I looked to the west of us and there was another bird working his way towards the decoys too. I told dad about that bird and right after I told him the other bird gobbled and he was close. I couldn't see him. About 5 seconds after he gobbled I heard the 11-87 bark. I jumped to my feet and got in the field and there he was laying dead. My dad was pretty happy, after some high fives we headed towards the truck. The hunt only lasted about 45min. It was a pretty quick hunt. The bird weighed 23 1/4lbs, had a 10 1/4in beard, and had 1" spurs. A pretty good one for his first.

3570dad_gobbler.jpg

Top Bottom