Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

My First Buck

DoubleLungDiva

What are you looking at?
I had never hunted before going into the 2011 hunting season. I became interested after going along turkey hunting with my boyfriend, sureshot1. I started off buying my first bow in the middle of August and became very good at shooting at targets. I practiced a lot preparing myself for the rut hoping I could harvest a buck.
IMG_2415.jpg

On November 10th my boyfriend and I walked to a stand we like to call the Jackhammer stand, where Lefler168 shot his buck out of just 2 days before. We got into the stand 15 minutes before it got light outside. A short time went by and here comes a little basket buck. I called him in to 7 yards to my stand with my bleeting call. I drew back and shot. Being a beginner in all I had been very nervous and wasnt even thinking about if the buck was broad side or quartering away. I hit him right behind the shoulder as he was quartering away hard. Later that day we went out to track him. In the beginning there was a ton of blood, but the farther we went the less blood we found. We tracked the blood for an hour and eventually we couldn’t find anymore. We never found my buck so I was pretty down about it. I ended up hunting hard for the rest of my vacation and saw some very nice bucks, but they never came into my shooting range.

Since muzzleloader season was beginning I decided to give it another shot. On January 2nd I had gotten permission on one of the best farms I had ever hunted this year. Sureshot1 and I got to the blind around 2:45pm. As we were walking to the blind we could already see 4 does and 1 decent 8 pointer about 150 yards from where our blind was at, so we had to sneak our way up over the hill. Two minutes of being in the blind here come 6 does right out of the timber along with the same buck we had seen on our way up. As the night went on we saw about 15 differnt bucks and around 30 does. At about 3:45 here comes a giant 8 pointer. We watched him till about 4:30 then he started eating his way back into the timber. I decided I needed to take a shot at him or I probably wouldnt see another 8 pointer like this again. At 140 yards I shot at him, and he took off into the timber. I knew right after the shot that I had missed him. My heart just dropped, I couldnt believe I blew it. After 5 minutes of sitting there reviewing the video to see if I had gotten him here come a couple of decent bucks right out to the east of us. Right behind them was the buck that I had just missed. We couldnt believe he came back out and this time he was even closer. He made his way in to about 110 yards. This time I knew I couldn’t mess it up. I took my time and smoked him. We reviewed the video and couldnt see much so we decided to wait till the next morning to recover my buck. The next morning we found him 15 yards into the timber right where we had thought he dropped.
IMG_1293.jpg

I feel very fortunate to have had the opportunity to have 2 shots at such a great old mature whitetail. If it werent for the land owner letting me hunt such a great spot I would have never had the chance to experience something so unforgetable. I am very blessed to have the people I do in my life to teach me so many things about hunting. Without there help and knowledge I wouldnt have ever had the opportunity to harvest such an amazing whitetail.
IMG_1327.jpg

Here is a link to my boyfriends blog where you can watch the video of my hunt:
http://chrisandblake.bowhuntingroad.com/2012/01/05/alex-knocks-down-a-giant-8-video-and-story/

Thanks, Alex.

Last edited:
That is an amazing first buck! Cograts to you, and to "Christopher":D for his hard work. I'm sure you now know that there is no feeling like it!:way:

Last edited:
That's a heck of a first deer! Pretty soon you will be giving sureshot a run for his money on big deer! Congrats!

Top Bottom