Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

My first Iowa deer

Lucky13

Well I moved to Iowa this year for job/housing reasons. I got out of deer hunting all together for about 6 years and just chased ducks and geese. Upon moving here I knew that I was going to have to hang up the lanyard and grab a bow..I was fortunate enough to find some good ground and hung some stands....the land owner told me about another piece of property he had so after the morning hunt on Nov 2nd I decided to go to the new stuff and take a look...I walked out and found nothing but rubs, licking branches, scrapes, the whole nine yards.

I found a good spot and hung a stand...not reallty knowing where the deer were coming from I didnt do any tree trimming...I went out the next morning and sat...after the sun come up i decided to rattle...about 5 mins passes and a stud 160+" deer comes through at 18 yards...and wouldnt you know it he took a trail that had way too many branches...so after having more deer file through i got out of the stand and cut some lanes and hung a trail cam....the following thrusday I went out to the same spot...after having a so so morning with only 2 year old coming through i got out of the stand and checked the cam...AND NOTHING!! not one deer pic...To say i was down was an understatement....I had the next day Nov 8th off from work...the night before I was talking with my wife and she told me to hunt that same stand that i was going to kill a big one...So I set out early on friday morning and was in the stand well before light....and it was like a light switch was turned on..i had deer all over me all morning rattling in several bucks in the 120-130 range but nothing i wanted to shoot...s
at about 11:15 I decided i would close my eyes and take a little snooze...well about 10 minutes passed by and i heard some crunching...look to my right and had two does at less than 10 yards then more crunching behind me and saw a little 6 pt that started dogging the does making every noise a deer makes(fun to see and hear)...so he chased them around in the woods for a few minutes...i decided then when he came down the trail i was to "practice" drawing back on him, more just out of something to do...so he comes down the trail that is about 10 yards on my left stops parallel with me on a dime and wheels his head around...i look behind me and here comes what at the time looked like a booner(remember i said its been 6 years since i was in a stand)...he walks right past me and 7 yards and i laid the coals to him!!!!! I did it my first Iowa whitetail! and its the biggest deer i have ever killed!!!! to say im still excited would be an understatement...he is currently at the taxidermist and im pumped to get him back. ..I opened his mouth and found there to not be any teeth so i be lieve this is a very old buck which would explain why i probably killed him at 11:30am! Enjoy!! He has 13 points and was right in the 145" range(to me its a monster)

p.s.-sorry for the delayed post just got to be a member today!

Nice job!
Put your bow in the picture next time.
Don't close your eyes in the tree man!
Congrats!

This pic was taken well after the harvest...i wish now i wouldve taken some better pics but this is all i got! and yes my eyes were closed and still are! hard to believe i took a mature deer!

Congrats on a great buck, but "no teeth"??? You weren't looking at the front teeth on the top were you? :rolleyes: He doesn't look old enough to be a total gummer...:confused::confused::confused:

Congrats on a great buck, but "no teeth"??? You weren't looking at the front teeth on the top were you? :rolleyes: He doesn't look old enough to be a total gummer...:confused::confused::confused:

Not sure what teeth I was looking at to be honest... but he sure did not have any that I could see

Top Bottom