Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

My first Iowa gobbler

Bow Ben

Well after moving to Iowa 4 years ago I finally killed an Iowa gobbler and my first ever with a bow. Had 4 monster toms fly down into the field shortly after daylight yesterday morning. They had no hens with them this time so they answered my calls and worked their way down to my set up. Gobbling their brains out. They saw my decoys and came in on a string. They were all pretty much the same size so I picked the first one that gave me shot. He was way out there at 6 yards so I drilled him perfect, he trotted off 15 yards and fell over dead. He wasn’t dead for 10 seconds and one of the other toms came over and started kicking him and then got right on top of him and stood on top of him for a good 7-8 minutes. Meanwhile another tom tried to breed my hen decoy and then attacked my jake decoy. It was a pretty entertaining morning. I had my camera with me and was going to try and take some video but when I pulled it out the battery was dead....probably should have checked that. Kicking myself because I could have got some amazing turkey footage after the shot. Really kicking myself for not having a 4th season tag in my pocket since I could have filled it easily after shooting the first one.

He weighed 25 pounds with a 10.25 inch beard and 1 inch spurs. I may have to buy a 2nd tag and try again this weekend with 3 more big toms still in the area.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Top Bottom