Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

My first season Bird

msalow

This is my biggest bird ever and will probly be my biggest ever. Shot on 4/18/2007 @ 6PM out of a double bull matrix blind useing a remington 1187 12 ga and Federal Turkey #4's at 55 yrds.
This guy had a neck & head so large my hand wouldn't close around it. He tipped the grocerer's scale to 33lbs 2 oz. had a 11 1/8 beard and 1 3/8 & 1 1/4 spurs.
I wanted to say a bit more about this hunt. I am partially disabled and cannot walk very far and I cannot carry much when doing so. if wasn't for good friends I woulndn't be hunting at all I have several great friends that see to it that I do go out and go with me and carry the things needed for me. The friend that went with me the afternoon I shot this bird took off early from his business to get me out carried my blind, and decoys his chair I carried my gun and chair. I can't say enough about any of these guys they truelly do make me proud to call them friend!!!

The story:
We arraived at our hunting spot at aprox 4:45 PM walked to our spot where I had seen a bunch of birds the night before got the blind set up and was
B Sing and another buddy called to see if we were out or not. My friend was talking to him and all of a sudden said "there's a hen". We had all four sides of the blind open not knowing for sure they would be comming from. She got a little nervous and stsrted to putt. We sat perfectly still and hoped she wouldn't go into the "alarm putt" she looked us over from about 15 yrds and slowly walked back ito the timber needless to say we scrambled to close up the back and side of the blind.
A few minuites passed and she came back looking around in the field and walked out followed by 6 more hens one which was almost all white and a jake. I was about to take the jake which was about 20 yrds when I looked into the timber again and saw more turkeys comming . I watched and saw several more hens walk into the field at about 5 yrd from the double bull then I saw this guy start to do a half strut in the timber he stoppd on a small rise in the clear @ 33 yrds but I couldn't get him in the scope quick enough and he walked into some brush walking farther away from us. I was thinking "great a nice bird and I have passed on a jake that is now out of range and this guy is going to walk out too far for a shot". He walked into the field at 60 yrds and started to feed towards us I had him in the crosshairs and my friend said it was funny as I kept saying Pick up your f#@#@'n head over and over again. He finally did @ 55 yrds and dropped him. My friend jumped out of the blind and ran over to him and said" this is a
f@#%*'n monster bird and tried to pick it up but had to let him drop back to the ground and use two hands to carry im back to the blind. By this time I was out of the blind and put the rangefinder on my friend I couldn't believe it as 55 yrds.

1541st_season_turkey_2007-med.jpg

I guess I'm not too good at putting on the picture if someone would like to help out and make the picture larger help please
confused.gif

Congrats on the giant Tom!
waytogo.gif

That has to be close to the state record weight...anyone know what that is?

i was having trouble finding it but i think that the state record is 37.125 lbs. and the longest beard is 18.15 inches, those are some outstanding numbers.

Top Bottom