Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

My gear review 2005

DOR

Life Member
Started to answer a post about what scent suit to buy and basically ended up doing a gear review hope it helps someone.
grin.gif

Just got my Natural Gear Snow covers today. They will replace my 1981 Skyline snow covers
grin.gif
. They included a catalog and I do like the looks of some of there other patterns, might have to take a closer look at the fabric construction. <a href="www.naturalgear.com/" target="_blank">Natural Gear</a>

If you want something high end I would look into King of The Mountain woolens. I have yet to try them out but friends have said good things about them. <a href="www.kingofthemountain.com" target="_blank">King of the Mountain</a> Anybody own any?

Its pretty hard to get away with any less than 3 different "outfits". I personally own more camo than I own regular clothes....just ask my wife!

Gear I have and what I think about it is below:

Dream Season Scent blocker pants/jacket-really have grown to like it this year, its extremely quit and has pockets in all the right spots. Future durability may be an issue, time will tell. It made it through this year well. Gets an A- at the midterm. Dream Season Scent blocker

Scent Blocker Outfitter Set- Hated it, returned it, too noisy, didn't fit me well. Got a D.

Browning Hydro-fleece- not sure its made any longer, but It has been a great combo for me for at least 10 years now. Its a little heavy, I mainlyuse it in sub20 degree,wet weather. Gets a B+.

Cabelas MT050 Rain Gear- Is a touch noisy but is quiet compared to most others I have tryed. I would recommend it for wind or rainy days. I dont hunt with it if its quiet. Gets a solid B. MT050 Clothing Line

Cabelas WindShear wool sweater- bought it last year and its has been on my body as a last layer before my coat on most days under 35 degrees. Don't wash it as it does shrink..duh...its wool
blush.gif

Gets an A-. Windshear sweater

Boots-
Have basically only worn Muck Boots (woodys) this year and they have kept my feet warm(to warm in sept) even in temps below zero I have been OK. They get a A-, only because the neopreme tops do snag if the pants arent over the top. Muck Boots

Side note: For anyone who doesn't own a Peet Boot dryer, Buy One!! Its the best money you'll ever spend to aid keeping your feet warm. The Boot dryer gets a A+. Peet Boot Dryer

Socks:

I have tryed many pairs and so far my favorite is the Cabelas Deluxe Cold-Weather Sock. A+ Deluxe Cold Weather Socks

I always wear a poly liner underneath to further help furhter wick moisture away from my feet. My favorite liner is made by wigwam. A.

Wigwam also make a sock(called Ingenius) that has a liner built into it that I like OK. My feet seem to sweat a little in them and they are not quit long enough for me, but are still better than most. They get a B- so far(just got them in November). Wigwam socks

Base layers.
Polartec MTP. Simply love it. A+ Polartec underwear

This got kinda long, but I hope it helps someone. I have tryed a lot of different gear, maybe not as much as Limb
grin.gif
grin.gif
, but alot. These are some of my favorites, although not all-inclusive, its some of my gear I use currently. Anyone else have any good reviews to share.

I will add a little to the post.

I have the Scent-lok savanna gear, and it is fantastic for early/warmer season, I was able to wear just that shirt and my x-scent baselayers until early Nov. when I shot my buck, even the sub 30 degree mornings I made it through with these two on and it was really a great article to own on those 60 degree plus late Oct. early Nov days we had. I was never winded wearing the gear either.

The xcent baselayers are decent, but I like my under armour better.

Great Post DOR, looks like you did your homework. You obviously have a separate checkbook from your wife or you're trading RX drugs for these goodies.

I bought some X-Scent under layer this year. Top, pants and socks. I give it an A. The silver thread seems to do what it claims. I've used the set starting this fall in Colorado. Doesn't get too hot in warm weather but also is a super as a base layer in the cold. Bought it a Wal-Mart and they were out of it fast.

King of the Mountain gear is GREAT!!!
I wear my lightweight stuff for early deer season and heavyweight stuff for late season.
Justin Charles by Mathews wool long underwear is GREAT!! It comes in both light & heavy weight. I have a Filson wool sweater and it's the heaviest sweater I own.
For early season elk hunting I love my Day One Camo. I have the light weight fleece with the ASAT pattern. It's the only thing I use for elk hunting.

Top Bottom