Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

My Iowa Experience

hoosierhunter

I've seen several recommendations from residents regarding knocking on doors for permission. I decided to take that advice. I drove out from Indiana Friday to knock on some doors after studying where I'd like to hunt. The hunting gods were with me and the landowners were very receptive. I was able to gain permission on outstanding ground and meet some very nice people. I'm pretty sure I'm floating back to Indiana!

Hope you had fun. My oldest boy and I found some nice sheds this weekend, met another neighbor or two, nice people.
It was 62 in Des Moines, they closed schools due to snow in my hometown in MN, hard to believe the temp could be that different

I too gained permission by asking. Overall there's lots of nice folks in Iowa. Wish I lived there. I wonder what the odds are of a non res getting a tag in zone 5 with two points??? I'm dying to hunt there again!

Spysar said:
I too gained permission by asking. Overall there's lots of nice folks in Iowa. Wish I lived there. I wonder what the odds are of a non res getting a tag in zone 5 with two points??? I'm dying to hunt there again!

Last year was 46%. I'm in that boat this year with 2 points currently. Thankfully if I don't draw this year I was welcomed next as well!

Spy, with two points you will draw a gun tag and probably would get an archery tag if you chose to go that route. However, although rare, I've heard of guys with two points not drawing an archery tag.

Spy, with two points you will draw a gun tag and probably would get an archery tag if you chose to go that route. However, although rare, I've heard of guys with two points not drawing an archery tag.

All archery for me. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.:way:

I didn't draw with 2 pts last year. You're looking at 50/50 odds, at best. The part you can't figure into the odds are all the guys with 3 pts that didn't apply and get rejected last year with 2 pts. Then they apply for a tag this year.

Tim

Congrats on obtaining permission from landowner. You are lucky that you found such great people, make sure to retain that great relation.
I find that obtaining permission is so very hard that it is vital to show your appreciation in some way.
I asked a guy 6 years ago for access to a property from his land. He said yes, and every year during the holidays I send a $50 giftcard. Between me and my hunting partner, we have killed 3 bucks and a few does from the property.
Moral of the story --- Building and maintaining relationships is the key of success to anything (hunting, occupation, life).

ia.huntress said:
Congrats on obtaining permission from landowner. You are lucky that you found such great people, make sure to retain that great relation.
I find that obtaining permission is so very hard that it is vital to show your appreciation in some way.
I asked a guy 6 years ago for access to a property from his land. He said yes, and every year during the holidays I send a $50 giftcard. Between me and my hunting partner, we have killed 3 bucks and a few does from the property.
Moral of the story --- Building and maintaining relationships is the key of success to anything (hunting, occupation, life).

I think I shocked most of them driving 7 hours just to knock on their door. You can tell so much about a person with a face to face conversation.

Top Bottom