Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

My response to SF 18

blake

Life Member
Dear Senator Angelo,

As a politically active resident of Page County and an avid hunter/outdoor sports enthusiast, Senate file 18 appalls me, to say the least. I understand that the State of Iowa has been experiencing an economic downturn as of the last few years, matching to some degree the recession of the entire nation. I also understand that it is your job as an elected official to try and turn our states economy around by reducing expenditures, and increasing revenues - by means of legislation. Senate file 18 would no doubt add revenue to the States coffers, just as a reduction in unnecessary spending and a leaner more efficient government would serve the same purpose. I am of the opinion, as I am sure are thousands of other hunters/licensed voters, that this can be accomplished without putting the political stranglehold on our sport and treasured
pastime.

Dwindling are the days when a hunter might approach a local farm house and obtain permission to hunt the area, sealed with a handshake, some small talk and perhaps a small gift as a token of appreciation for the opportunity to celebrate the outdoors, and get a chance at a big buck. Big money non-resident hunters, with their deep pockets and eager willingness to pay exorbitant trespass & trophy fees to farmers, have hurt tax-paying resident hunters. Land that was once hunted from generation to generation, father to son/daughter, is now being posted due to an influx of non-residents. Each year we continue to see more and more "Leased Hunting" signs appearing as it is. This trend is quite alarming, needless to say, and bespeaks of an era
where the sport of hunting was reserved solely for the Rich and Landed class, the Kings and nobility. Senate File 18 would only serve to hasten this most unfortunate phenomenon, by increasing the competition to hunt on a fixed resource: land. We ought to be combating this trend, not fueling the fire. Simply put, increasing the number of non-resident deer and turkey tags in the State of Iowa would surely spell disaster for the middle to lower class, hard working resident hunters.

If the goal is to increase revenue and reduce the deer population, might I suggest that we consider increasing the price of resident and non-resident deer tags (slightly), and offer more doe tags and/or special doe seasons to resident hunters, and resident hunters only. I am willing to bet that resident hunters, myself included, would be willing to pick up some of the slack and pay a few extra dollars for their tags, in order to protect their hunting privileges from non-residents with big bank rolls. All that we ask, as law abiding hunters, conservationists and registered voters, is that you carefully consider the consequences of such a
proposal.

Respectfully Yours,

Ronald L. Wyllie
Page County Resident

Looks very good.Please let us know his reply.Hopefully you will send that letter to members of the Natural Resource Committee.They are the ones with the ball in there court.

Hey Blake............I think you should run for office
beerchug.gif

Blake,

Very well put!

If people haven't already, it would be a good idea for all who agree with Blake to e-mail the Senate Natural Resource Committee with their own responses. Good Luck!

I just sent mine, never done this before so I hope i emailed the right person
confused.gif
Never knew there was so many people on that list
wink.gif

For any of you people in the Cedar Rapids area, I read in the Conservationist that there will be a meeting of the Natural Resource Comm in Febuary. I think the date was the 13th but I can't remember the location except that it was arounf CR. If anyone has the time it might be a good thing to attend any of these meetings. Having a person tell them in person is a lot better than lots of e-mails.

How many resident and not resident hunting and fishing licenses do they sell every year?
Would raising the price of all them by $5 offset the increase of NR tags (which by my math generates another ~$2.5 mil)?
Hope they do not increase the NR tags.
Well written, Ronald.

How many resident and not resident hunting and fishing licenses do they sell every year?
Would raising the price of all them by $5 offset the increase of NR tags (which by my math generates another ~$2.5 mil)?
Hope they do not increase the NR tags.
Well written, Ronald.

I contacted my rep, and she gave me the names of a couple more people in the Naturaual Resouce comittee she recomended i contact.

This was my email and her reply

Chris,

Please share this with Rep. Mary Lou Freeman, Natural Resources Committee Chair
and Rep Paul Bell, our ranking member.

I appreciate your comments and hope we can strike a good balance.

Please stay in touch.

Marcie

-----Original Message

Mrs Frevert,
I believe theres a bill coming up to increase the number of non resident
deer licenses given out each year.I and many other Iowans are not in favor
of it.The competition for hunting land is becoming quite obvious to many of
us in the last few years.The days of knocking on a farmers door and gaining
permission to hunt are becoming a thing of the past.The trend isnt as bad
here as it is in other parts of the state where trophy hunting for bucks is
drawing non residents to buy and lease ground that is then closed to
resident hunters that have hunted it for generations.I would hate to see it
hit here as it has in southern and ne Iowa.There are outfitters and non
residents buying and leasing land for prices the average working class Iowan
cant compete with.Its becoming a rich mans sport, not just here but
everywhere, many of us cant afford to hunt out of state, so all we got left
is what we have here.Im afraid if this bill passes many of us wont even have
that, we will be forced to hunt mainly public ground or not hunt at
all.Theres many sportsmen in Iowa in the same boat as me, we dont own
ground, we cant afford to spend thousands of dollars to lease ground each
year, we have to rely on the trust and good will of landowners, sadly money
usually outwieghs trust and goodwill.Please dont help to close any more
doors to local hunters in our state.If its about money, i will glladly pay a
little more on my next deer license as will a lot of other folks.

Thanks for your time,
Chris Horst
Ruthven Iowa

If you havent already you guys might wanna consider emailing these people as well.

Blake, I can appreciate your angle and your points are well taken but let me argue from a different angle as there are always two sides to every tale.

To increase non resident tags or to give landowner exception permits would do the following.

1. It would increase land value by approximately 40% over 3 to 4 years and it would then stabilize. Such as happened in quality areas in Illinois. Current landowners who would like to cash out would be rewarded with higher property values.

2. Real estate taxes would increase because of the greater values. Tens of millions of extra dollars would be now available for local schools, road improvements and other Iowa infrastructure improvements.

3. Subsidies and other programs would emerge to help offset the increased property taxes for those Iowa residents who would not want any change in life style.

4. The rampant poaching and drunken gang hunting would reduce drastically as landowners who are managing the wildlife on their land would take a more proactive role in the defense of their land and its wildlife. They would also make the DNR more accountable to enforce the game laws.

5. Wildlife habitat would increase due to added food plots and managed land.

6. The quality of mature bucks would increase ten fold due to QDM and poacher reduction—Iowa would finally live up to its potential and become the nation’s trophy mecca.

It is true that there are going to be jerks that come in and flaunt their riches, but there will also be a great deal of good people too. I’d rather have a rich jerk living next to me who manages his wildlife than a dumb hick who gets liquored up and shoots everything that moves. The aforementioned types of people are in the minority of both spectrums of demographics and were meant to make a point rather than to proclaim a generalization.

Bottom line, true sportsmen who take wildlife and conservation seriously are good people 99% of the time and don’t forget, we are still all Americans and we are brethren by that bond.

Mr. Whitetail,

And what point would you be trying to make?

How can a resident landowner (or potential landowner) not be offended by that post? Sorry...I've intentionally stayed out of these posts because I believe they serve no real purpose, but your post took me over the edge.

Generalizations intended or not, you don't have to do much reading between the lines to see that you believe that Iowa deer hunting would be better off if all of the "drunken gang hunters" who "get liquored up and shoot anything that moves" (resident hicks) sold out to the much more responsible conservationists (nonresidents), whose only fault may be that they're a jerk.

Hey...you're probably right! Since the land values would increase so much we'd have alot more money to go spend on getting liquored up! Then we'd probably drive around shooting all wildlife from the broken out windows of our 65 Ford Pickups. Then we'd go home, tie up the horse, and visit the outhouse before we blow out the lantern. If we're lucky maybe ma will heat some water for a Saturday night bath too.

Yep...that post really did alot to make me want to welcome non-residents with open arms!

NWBuck

Mr. Whitetail, you are obviously new to this website and as such did not know any better than to express your support for non-resident hunters and non-resident landowners. We just don't do that around here. And don't make any comments regarding less than ideal behavior by resident hunters. We don't have any problems with our resident hunters that need to be addressed, just you rich, non-residents who want to buy 100 acres down the road and implement quality management. Geez, some people!

Chris,

i'd say that was a great letter. Keeping it short and still making it an emotional statment. I noticed though that you sent it to the head of the HOUSE natural resources committe. You should send it to the Senate natural resources committee also as this is where the bill resides right now. There is another thread "sf 18" that I listed all of the reps that make up this committee. Send your emial to all of them too. It will have to get through Senate committe before being voted on by the senate. It will then go to the House where they will then vote. Again, great letter and keep sending it to all of them until you get responses.

Mr Whitetail

I think you made a really good case against increasing NR licenses. Your arguments don't make a lot of sense from this side.
1. You say land values would increase. Why would we want that. Most can't afford to buy ground now much less at higher values. Then only NR with much higher incomes would be able to buy our land.

2. Real estate tax would go up. Why would I want to pay more tax on the land I already own and hunt on?

3. Subsidies to off set those higher taxes must be funded from some where and that means higher income and sales tax. Not what I want!

4. Rampant poaching and druken gangs are not currently a problem, in Iowa at least, even though there seems to be dissagreements between gun and bow hunters. Would also require more DNR staff which costs more money from more taxes.

5. Habitate would not increase to any great amount. The food plots would not keep up with the decreases in row crops not grown because NR land owners would sign up for CRP and other programs.

6. When we are already experencing problems with land access why in God's name would we want to become the throphy mecca. I certainly don't want that extra competation for the deer I help grow.

We may be poor dumb hicks without a lot of money but we do have the hunting that rich guys want and hopefully have some control of our own destiny. Like one of the other guys, your post kicked my butt over the edge.

Well Mr. Troy Whitetail, you solved just about all of our problems except for that in-breeding thing.

Don't pee against the wind and try to tell me it's raining.

IaCraig

Thanks Mr. Whitetail.Hopefully you just convinced more residents to contact thier Senator AGAINST SF 18.Thanks again.

I did not leave the post I left to start an argument or to insult anyone. Many people have exaggerated or taken out of context what I wrote.

I would first like to clarify a few things that I have been called out on.

1. First of all, I am not rich, I was born in a poor family and I am now working class. I have worked hard for everything I have.

2. I have hunted Iowa for a modest 6 years now but I am aware of what goes on there in regards to poaching from hearsay, reading the papers, talking to Iowa locals and also seeing it for myself. To say that there is not a poaching, or a gang hunting problem is unrealistic--it is more apparent in Iowa than anywhere else in the Midwest. To deny such facts is like the ostridge sticking it's head in the proverbial sand. Most of you know what I am speaking of even if you won't admit it on this thread. I have received emails from Iowa Residents since I posted this thread so I am not alone on this fact.

3. I am not calling Iowa people Hicks, on the contrary, I find them to be friendly and honest, however, the bad seeds who are doing the poaching are almost unhindered in most areas (except for a few major managed areas and you know those areas, i.e. Ranch). Every state in the union has it's bad eggs and Iowa is no different.

One person pointed out that many out of state land owners would plant non harvestable food plots and the crop production would reduce dramatically. I wonder what that would do for the local farmer who is and has been underpaid for decades. Do you think crop prices might slightly increase do to the age old principle of supply and demand?

Iowa is a generally poor State. Why this is I don't know as it should not be. The state has good hard working people and great natural resources but somewhere along the lines, the bureaucrats have managed to keep the state well below national averages in incomes. To increase land value and land property taxes would not only generate more income, it would spur economic growth in the region well beyond the realm of hunting. Many areas that have seen this type of inevitable advancement have implemented "tax freezes" to help protect lower income families. There are all kinds of ways to view this matter in a positive light and to tell you the truth, I can live with any situation change whether it stays the way it is or if it changes; however, things are going to change whether it be 1 year from now or 10 years. There is too much money locked up in Iowa that the politicians will release regardless of the opinion of this fray. I was simply trying to point out positive points of this inevitable event to come.

My opinion, no insult to anyone intended, and maybe I'm wrong about all of this--it wouldn't be first time.

Mr Whitetail, have you read the post on "what do Iowa hunters think". If not I recommend you do because it has 119 replies on this very issue of land usage.

As far as the poaching goes, the poaching that I've read about in the news has been groups of out of state people, not local liquored up local hicks. One group was recently caught poaching deer in the Des Moines City limits. I do not think non-res land ownership will stop those jerks.
Also as far as $ benefit to Iowa's economy that you mention, I personally believe that the income off of property (CRP, crop and capital gains) which will leave the state via more non-res land ownership is greater than any that will be added in. However that has already been done on a much larger scale with big corporations and prime farmground.
As you can see, for the most part I do believe you are wrong, but we are both entitled to our opinions. I am with you on 1 thing, I will live with what ever happens and hunt even if all that is left is over crowded public ground. However I reserve the right to influence my state politicians in an attempt to hinder the factors that I believe are fueling the recent trend of making hunting in Iowa a rich man's sport.

Ia Hick Craig

Mr.Whitetail,
YOU have top notch Trophy hunting in YOUR home State. How about not making it harder for us in the rifle-during-rut States.
Put a lid on it.

Top Bottom