Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

My thoughts on leasing

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> no disrespect intended.....</div></div>

None taken. Anyone who knows me understands I do like a good debate. Doesn't mean I change my mind much, but I do try to look at the issues in whole.

Glad to hear it's a family venture for you. Many leases aren't.

IMO, don't bitch about the high price of land and nonresidents coming in and leasing up ground, if you are going to practice leasing yourself. It is the pot calling the kettle black. It is a practice that could be put to an end if all hunters refused to buy their way into hunting. I hear guys say that the landowner needs the money to pay his taxes. Grandpa, dad, and myself paid for taxes without leasing our hunting grounds. If I can't afford the taxes, maybe I have no business owning it. BTW, the taxes are high on the hunting ground partially due to how the hunter has made the value assess high with the leasing values. 15 years ago you could buy all of the timber you wanted in southern IA for 300 an acre. Greed and power hungry hunters drove the prices out of the sky.

What would happen if EVERYBODY REFUSED to pay to hunt at the 4H ground??? Deer need hunted there and in the past there were always a limited # of hunters that got to hunt it. I am not singling anybody out with this statement, just using it is an example, please don't think I am. I have a good friend in Boone that pays to hunt there too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hardcorehunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IMO, don't bitch about the high price of land and nonresidents coming in and leasing up ground, if you are going to practice leasing yourself. It is the pot calling the kettle black. It is a practice that could be put to an end if all hunters refused to buy their way into hunting. I hear guys say that the landowner needs the money to pay his taxes. Grandpa, dad, and myself paid for taxes without leasing our hunting grounds. If I can't afford the taxes, maybe I have no business owning it. BTW, the taxes are high on the hunting ground partially due to how the hunter has made the value assess high with the leasing values. 15 years ago you could buy all of the timber you wanted in southern IA for 300 an acre. Greed and power hungry hunters drove the prices out of the sky. </div></div>

I will have to agree with this statement, if you stop and think about it we are our own worst enemies.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Greed and power hungry hunters drove the prices out of the sky.

</div></div>

And you haven't seen the worst of it yet. Wait and see what happens if a bunch more people from stronger economies come here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">there is a large difference in residents who hunt their leased property A LOT and NR's who lease up land, greatly restrict access and only hunt it a few times a year....
big difference!! </div></div>

I'll agree with that point.

O.K, I'll bite and give my opinion....just opinion, not looking to make any enemies.

I'm glad I live where such a thing as leasing does not exist. I can get access to almost any property I want by knocking on a door, being neighbourly, and helping out when needed, isn't that what neighbours do? My dad always told me they did. I also am only 10 miles or so from virtually endless public land that contains any species of wildlife I could want to hunt so yes...I am lucky. I'm living in the good old days of hunting in Saskatchewan. Do I think they could end, of course I do.....but if they do, it'll ultimately be movement from south of the border in the U.S that causes a change here. Here's my 2 takes on Leasing.

I can see why one would want to lease. No chunks of private ground that I hunt are limited access to myself. Basically any other person that knocks on the landowners door, greets them with a smile and a handshake and respect gets permission too. I won't lie, there are spots i wish i had sole access to, any serious hunter knows that adverse pressure or unintentional carelessness with scent, scouting etc.. can screw you up. So...yes, I wish some spots that I scout big bucks on each yr were mine and mine only to hunt but they're not and I won't try to change things despite what I wish. In fact, I'll be honest, if I were to even try and approach many of these landowners with the idea of paying for sole access to their property, I'd do more harm than good. Like I said, I'm living in the glory days of hunting where being a good person, a good neighbour and a respectful member of society will buy you more friends in the country than a wallet full of money. So again.....I can see why some people would want to lease, all spots I hunt, i share with many others.

Side 2..........If big $$ influence from the states ever makes it's way up here, then I'm screwed. I don't have the $ to lease, never will. My dad owns land, not good whitetail land mind you, but upland and waterfowl land. It's 4 hrs from me, he'd never take a nickel from anyone to hunt it, and I'll never give a nickel to hunt someone else's. Like i said, I'll be a good friend a good neighbour, repsectful of their property, help them out in times of need...you know, the things people should do, but I won't give them money to hunt. My family comes before me and my money is going to my family's needs. It seems as though alot of places have terrible problems with poaching, trespassing, etc. I have to think that alot of it stems from leasing. I envision a family, not well off, having hunted their neighbours land for yrs and yrs and yrs and then one day being told "NO, JOE $$ from the big city has sole access to my property now" I also see them, having nowhere to go, having yrs of family tradition brought down by the almighty dollar, and I see them trespassing, maybe even poaching. Not out of blatant disregard for the law, but out of hate for the person or people that came in and turned their world upside down. Am I condoning it....nope, but I wonder how I'd react if 15 yrs from now one of my neighbours phoned me up and said, " sorry about hunting this yr.....some rich guy from Alberta is leasing all my property"

So...after all this ramble I believe my 2 points are,....I can see why some people do it
...but......I'll never be one of them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So...after all this ramble I believe my 2 points are,....I can see why some people do it
...but......I'll never be one of them. </div></div>

That's pretty much how I feel to.

If you are talking 4-h near Boone county, yes it needs thinned out . They used to allow so many hunters per section but did not charge , that was 10yrs ago, but ithas gotten so overrun with deer, on a slow evening, you will wait 100 min for deer to cross at a given section.

Most everyone Bitches and moans about NR leasing ground yet instead of refusing to follow suit and refuse to allow this to happen they jump on the bandwagon and pay to play which in turn the price goes up untill no one can play. Leasing is killing the future of hunting whether you admit it or not. It may protect a place for you and your kid or kids to hunt but what about the kid mentioned in previous post. The one that has interst in hunting but no one to take him, He cant go knocking on doors to gain permission unless he has a couple grand in his pocket. By paying lease prices you may protect your self but you black ball the future. Bull Sh!t by my standards. If prefer to look at hunting as a passion, nearly an obbession, not a buisness. Buisness is where you work, where you make a buck. Im not about making a buck with hunting. If i wanted buisness I would stay at work. If I offended anyone on this post too bad as nobody cares if they offend me or anyone else when they jump on the band wagon and pay to lease ground. If its about making sacrifices i guess i will sacrifice for the better of hunting and not lease. I will look at the big picture and not my personal portrait. Just my two cents.

PS Denial is the first sign of guilt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THA4</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> i do think we need to restrict the amount of NR hunters.

</div></div>
From what I have read, IA gives out fewer nonresident deer tags than any state in the nation. What happens when you want to go out west and hunt elk and the state you are going to has a reciprocancy law that states you can't hunt here since we can't hunt there??
Are you saying that a landowner should not be allowed to lease his land to a nonresident or that a non resident should not be allowed to buy land in IA? Sounds like China or a 3rd world way of thinking. The only way I see is to stop the leasing practice all or nothing. Not advocating this practice, but what would happen if leased lands by nonresidents were trespassed on by locals and posted-leased signs were ignored? What is a tresspass fee; $50? Do sheriffs have time to run around and chase trespass calls all day? Would the leasing continue if the posted signs that nonresidents put up were ignored, or would the leaser just say that it is not worth it and tuck his tail in betwen his legs and go elsewhere? What would happen to the price of timber? Would it go down in price dramatically? I believe so. I'm just saying........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ibowbigbucks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you are talking 4-h near Boone county, yes it needs thinned out . They used to allow so many hunters per section but did not charge , that was 10yrs ago, but ithas gotten so overrun with deer, on a slow evening, you will wait 100 min for deer to cross at a given section. </div></div>So with money exchanged it has helped lower the deer #s? Is this what you are saying?

Its their land, they should be able to make money off it however they can find a way.

If I hunt private land, and harvest a deer, I usually save the inner loin and give it to the land owner. Or if they have a pond (like with my neighbor down the street), I usually offer them some koi for their pond.

I am interested in buying some land, but more for building ponds and raising fish, and putting up a log cabin. If that land is also good for deer hunting, thats a bonus.

But then, im not looking for trophys, just some meat for my freezer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scottonbuck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well put Sask put me on that list. </div></div>
Me too. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

In my opinion leasing land is ONE of the first signs that we here in Iowa are beginning to become the next Illinois. I dont' care what anyone says, when land starts being leased (hunting ground), land prices will go up. It's all about supply and demand! When land gets leased, it is off limits to everyone else! The more land that gets leased, the more that is off limits. With limited amounts of public ground, this causes a problem here in Iowa, and causes a demand for more hunting ground, so THE PRICE GETS JACKED UP!

Now, since land prices are up, the amount of leased ground goes up even more! But guess what?

Farmer Smith is going to realize this, and the next thing he will do is jack-up the price of the lease. Farmers in my part of the state have already realized this. Last year I lost a farm that I have bow hunted my whole life due to leasing. This farm was leased TO THE HIGHEST BIDDER (A lawyer from Des Moines got it). This, however, is only the beginning. There are now entire websites, where farmers can place their ground on the internet and people bid to lease it, like E-bay!

Why can't we all just realize that if nobody leased, there would be endless amounts of land we could hunt! All it took twenty years ago was a knock on the door, and handshake, and your in as long as you don't F**K it up!

I am going to get a lot of criticism for this statement, but I don't care. GREED is the driving force behind leasing hunting ground. "I want it all to myself." "I want to have privacy." "I want to have a place where I dont' have to worry about other hunters!" Well guess what!?! Don't get used to that for very long, because as this ground crisis continues, you yourself will be outbid on that same property that was "your own", and you will be left without your privacy, without your "own piece of leased heaven", thinking "Damn, I wish hunting was like it was in the good ol'days!"

I myself will never, ever lease ground. Maybe I am too "old school", but I feel that anyone in this state can find a great place to hunt WITHOUT PAYIING. We are in Iowa people! I am certain that you can find a great place to hunt without putting a dent in your pocket book, and shutting someone else out! There are public pieces that I shed hunt every year where I find great sheds! HARDLY ANYONE HUNTS THERE, except during shotgun season. The point I am trying to make is that big bucks are out there, get off your A$$ and find them. You don't have to lease.

Sorry for rambling, and i'm not trying to offend anyone, but those are my opinions! Maybe in twenty years those of you who lease will have a different opinion on this issue!

I agree landowners can do what they want, after all it is there land. But it is based on supply and demand. the land owners have the supply and we as hunters give demand. Low supply, high demand, High prices. So take the demand of leasing out of the equation. Thats the part we can do, but only if we work together.

Ok ill post my opinion on this. My mom and dad both work at a "Mining" pit. They pump gravel out of sand pits. Well ever since i can remember we have hunted on the same ground for YEARS. My dad hates his job but the only reason he is keeping it is because he wants hunting ground. The land owner told up we could be care takers of the land. But problem is we are right beside a public lot. And people just dont know how to read signs i guess. I know a couple people and kids that hunt on the ground and would love to hunt on the property we hunt. We usually let a couple people come in and hunt with us. Let them sit in our stands for FREE and usually get a deer. But we also hunt by ground that people lease and to tell you the truth "SOME" people who lease think they own the ground and know exactly what they are doing. My dad was hunting a stand and the people on the other ground drove the whole property looking for something to shoot. Not saying this about all leasers but some just put in a bad name. Now others and just plain nice. Two guys came up to us and asked if we could help them drag out a deer for them. We did it and got free pizza outta it. So it wasnt all bad. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Top Bottom