Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

My Traditional Firearms

blake

Life Member
pawlinebrown.gif

A couple of years ago Shovelbuck and I began looking on the net for some poor man deals on some side lock muzzleloading firearms for me. I wanted a two row shotgun & a .50 caliber long rifle both in side lock.
<O:p</O:p
We did a lot of looking on various websites for something in my price range. There are a number of older muzzleloading firearms for sale out there. But, the really fine ones are very pricy, the good ones are also pricy, and if it isn’t good then it is likely to be in bad shape. Perhaps one that is only suitable to be a wall hanger & conversation piece.
<O:p
After a number of months Jay sent me a link to this two row fowler he had found on Gunbroker.com. The fowler didn’t have a ramrod, but it looked pretty nice given the apparent age.
I decided it was pretty nice old firearm and was able to purchase it for an amount that was less than what I was expecting.
After I got it home I had a number of questions about it and turned to my dear friend JayDee Flohr AKA: Shovelbuck to provide me with the details that I didn’t know.
The following is the information that Jay researched for me:
A bit more info...................
A note on shotgun proof marks. Traditionally, shotgun barrels were proofed individually before being joined to form a double and then after joining they were both proofed again to ensure that the process of joining them did not compromise them in any way.
From the picture it looks like there is a view mark on each breach, a provisional proof mark on each barrel, and the barrels were proofed as 13 bore barrels. The barrels were also each proofed as 13 bore barrels and viewed.
Your two row was made/proofed in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
><st1:City alt=
</st1:City>Birmingham, <st1:country-region w:st="on">England </st1:country-region></ST1:pcirca 1830 to 1840.

The inscribed word on the sidelock "Dean" was probably the lock maker. The guns were made by various houses for export to the states. By the way...............it's a 13 gauge.
I also want to thank Jay for finding the Lyman Great Plains Rifle for me. It is a very nice firearm.
The powder horn is made from a Buffalo Horn and the possiblesbag from is Elk Hide.
The following are several photos of these wonderful firearms:

picture.php
<O:p></O:p>
picture.php
picture.php

pawlinebrown.gif

Last edited:
Nice weapons Ron. I certainly can't take all the credit for the info. I just had to look into it a bit and ask the right questions.:way:

I've got more front stuffers than I really need but I've had an urge for a long time to own a Lyman like yours only in flint. They are probably the most historic correct appearing factory gun out there, as long as a person doesn't put fiber optics on them.;)

I also am looking for a Great Plains Rifle in a flint. :)

Unfortunatley without Hi viz sights I cant see carp on cloudly days or in limited light anymore.
nixweiss.gif

Unfortunatley without Hi viz sights I cant see carp on cloudly days or in limited light anymore.

Try peep sights. They work great for tired eyes.:way:
I'll try to get some pics of the setup I have on my rolling block.

Nice pictures, I love the way everything is displayed in the first one. The more posts I read about traditionals the more I want one in the coming year.

Try peep sights. They work great for tired eyes.:way:

I have actually thought about trying a set of peep sights. I have looked at then several times.

I might as well get a set of them, because you are not going to stop harassing me until I do. :thrwrck:

Top Bottom