Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

My Wifes 2013 Archery buck (In Her Words)

tyler883

My wife asked me to post this for her. She filled her tag saturday on a very nice whitetail. This is her story as follows.

Well, to start my season off, I was lucky enough to shoot a nice doe the first night in the stand. She was a nice mature doe and I was so pumped for the season! When we started skinning, we also noticed she had little pedicles to grown antlers. The doe had all female parts but could've been an antlered doe. Pretty cool.

What a great start to the season, I couldn't wait for the rut! Season went on and I spent hours upon hours in the stand. I managed to rattle in a nice, wide 10 pt. I went back and forth about shooting him but decided not to. I regretted it afterwards.

Season went on and I've managed to rattle and grunt in every button, spike and fork horn in the county. It's been really frustrating lately as I just haven't seen the amount of deer we have in the past. The warm weather and amount of corn still in have made it a very hard season. Tuesday I got out after the snow and saw the most deer I've seen all year. The bucks were chasing like crazy and I managed to see a buck I chased all last year, and ended up eating my tag because of. However, he was across the field with does and would not come in. Yesterday, I went and sat in a stand closer to where he was hoping to catch him searching for does. I barely saw a deer. Yet again, only managed to grunt/rattle in spikes/forks. Woke up this morning and thought ugh, rain and wind I don't know that I even want to hunt, but you can't shoot them sitting at home so off I went.

Got in the stand around 6 and by 6:10 the bucks were chasing like crazy. I could hear them grunting and moving through the crp but couldn't see horns. frustrating. Right after shooting time started a doe ran through and two bucks were chasing her, it was still just dark enough and they were far enough out, couldn't tell how big. I grunted and a third, small buck came in. He then ran off. 15 minutes later some does went through, I rattled grunted hoping to catch a buck and nothing. silence. 15 more minutes go by and all of a sudden I look up and see the wide 10 I passed earlier this year walking my way. Got my bow ready and kept watching trying to decide if I wanted to shoot. He stood broadside at 20 yards and just kept standing. Didn't shoot. He walked out in the crp to about 50 yards and stood broadside. I went crap, I did not just pass this buck a second time. I didn't want to make the 50 yard shot if I didn't have to though. All of a sudden he turned around and started coming right back to me. Here he came, 20 yards again. This time I stuck him. Third times the charm. He went about 30 yards and fell over.

He's not the biggest buck out there, not the biggest we have on camera either, but he gave me the opportunity and I took it. Weekends are filling up fast and wasn't sure how much more time I'd get to hunt and if another opportunity would arise. He's got great mass and is pretty wide, I'm very happy with him. No tag soup this year!
smile.gif

Sounds like a fun season with all the action by calling them in. Congrats and a very nice buck. Seems like I can grunt at them and they run the other direction. :)

congrats on another nice one out of there. He had been shredding some good sized ceders on the other side of the fence. Had a pic of him last Friday in front of my stand about an hour before I got there. Way to get it done.

Very nice deer. Way to get it done. Wish my wife hunted.

LOL, I always wanted to try a similar experiment, but it was with golf. Needless to say, I do NOT golf with my wife!! Hunting I think would be the same, although she does get frustrated and I always wonder how much of it is she just plain doesn't get it, but after the golf debacle I truly think it is just another one of those things that is "my getaway".

Top Bottom