Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

My wifes first deer

Lucky13

My wife has always hunted and been interested in hunting but mainly waterfowl. Now that we live ina state that has a "few" deer she took to bowhunting in a hurry. She isnt one for the cold so she really wanted to fill her tag early, so last weekend we set out to do just that! We started off on Friday with hunting a spot that I have had thousands of trail cam pics and some real nice deer, but as the night drug on and the wind howled we didnt see a thing....no big deal! We decided to hunt Saturday over some beans in a tree stand. On the way out to the tree we jumped a doe and what looked to be a mid 30's 10 point so instatly her hopes were crushed, I assured her that those wouldnt have been our deer anyway and thar it would still be a good night. We got to the tree, I took a Lone Wolf along with me climbed the ladder stand and hung my stand off to the side of the tree. The goal was if deer movement was slow that I would try and take a doe. Well the evening progressed and we finally saw our first deer of the 2014 season, a spike but hey it was a start. The evening kept on and we had another spike and 4 point come right past us just milling along. Awesome! Well it was getting closer to that famous magical hour and we heard something coming from behind us...a doe...I instantly grabbed my bow and looked down at my wife and said here comes a doe Im going to take her...Well all you married guys know the look Im talking about when I say she gave me the look and said "not before I get a buck"...so of course my bow went back on the hanger:(...about 10 minutes pass and I look arcoss the field and out from the draw I see a big white rack pop out, grab the binos recognize the deer and tell my wife a good one is coming and to get ready
Well the deer gets to the edge of the field, and walks it all the way to us..the deer stops at 15 yards and starts raking on an over hanging branch...at this point Im shaking like a leaf and my wife is a cool as a cucumber..he walks 10 more feet into an opening she draws back the deer turns toward us quartering to and she hold, she holds, she holds, then the deer goes back broadside and WHAM! She put the Rage SS right in the kitchen!
The deer mule kicks runs about 50 yards and just stops!!!! At this point he is facing straight away so i cant see where she hit him....he walks another 15 feet and just beds down only 60 yards away in the beans...we knew he was hit hard just didnt know where.....we waited til dark and snuck out....i told her with the cold weather we would wait til morning and come and track him....we got home and made it til about 12:30 and she had waited long enough...she talked me into going back out after him....I left her in the truck in case he was still alive...snuck into the field and went straight to his bed....NO DEER!!! oh no sick feeling!!! looked around for a little bit and got out....assuring her that we would find him in the morning...came back out the next morning and within 10 mintues we found him!!!! He was laying 15 yards from the original bed and I had walked right past him! Oh glorious day!!! After several prayers and jumping up and down, she had her buck!!!
I apologize for the long story but this was the best day I have ever had while hunting and I couldnt be more proud of the shot she laid on him!!!!!

Good for her! That is cool that you two can enjuoy the sport together. Congrats to both of you! A great first deer!
Like the looks of her bow set up.

Awesome!!!! That buck would have eaten my 1st buck for a snack. Well done!!!
*i'm glad u let her use ur bow & set up, u and all ur pink stuff is kinda weird for a dude but still cool.

Top Bottom