Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

N.R. fishing in Iowa?

Do we have to draw for tags? Is there group bagging? Where can I get on a QCM (quality carp management) lake? Inquiring minds want to know!

Just thought this was kind of funny, the time a guy spends chasing that wallhanger muskie,walleye,bass etc., you never here anyone upset about out of staters. Which is very cool, but sad that when it comes to whitetails alot of folks are worried a deer on the otherside of the state, or property which they cant hunt will be shot by a NR. We're all sportsman, so lets support each other. Have a great summer guys.

I guess I see what you are saying Ridgerunners, but I fully support NR hunting in the state. It is good for a few small towns and good for the out of state money that is brought in. I do feel that it needs to be regulated in terms of limited tags so the resident hunters of the state will have a place to hunt as well.

I'd say leave the carp alone, make them catch a yellow bass instead /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif.

smelly carp.....

they are sure fun to catch! that is for sure!

earn a fish!
HA

It's hard to compare much midwest fishing to a nice hole full of 3 feet long carp chummed with about a dozen cans of sweet corn if you're looking for fish to put up a good fight. If I had the choice fishing for wallyes or carp I'd spend the whole day in carp hole without a doubt every day of the summer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shoot2Kill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I had the choice fishing for wallyes or carp I'd spend the whole day in carp hole without a doubt every day of the summer. </div></div>

couldnt have said it better myself!

eye's are like catchin a wet tube sock!

Amen to wet tube socks...and I'm from MN! Say that too loud around here and I'll get strung up! Hooked a 20 pound carp on a fly rod once and I thought I'd need rotator cuff surgery. It was awesome!!!

Carp are fun, for sure, but Walleye's are for people who know a little bit about fishing. That's fine boys, leave those eyes for me and others. Good walleye management, haha. Wet tube socks...psh

Try throwing a filet of each into a pan of hot oil. Eat each one, and then tell me if you have a different opinion of which one resembles a "smelly tube sock" /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

As for me, I'll take an hour chasing 'eyes before a whole day of carp.

NWBuck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try throwing a filet of each into a pan of hot oil. Eat each one, and then tell me if you have a different opinion of which one resembles a "smelly tube sock" </div></div>

hey, eyes eat good, but thats all they are good for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Walleye's are for people who know a little bit about fishing.</div></div>

I also know im not less of a fisherman because i choose to not fish for them. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

i like a good fight, big teeth and a mouth you can put a softball in!!! Predator fish, not bait......

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THA4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
i like a good fight, big teeth and a mouth you can put a softball in!!! Predator fish, not bait......

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif </div></div>

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Im not going to talk bad about any kind of fishing. Heck fishing for bluegill is fun at times. To me its just about being outside and having a good time. If i had to choose one kind of fishing it would be fishing for catfish with cut shad or dropping jigs on crappie beds in mid-may. Only walleye ive ever caught was when i was snagging for spoons. Only muskeye ive ever caught hit a spinnerbait when i was fishing for smallies on pool 19. Didnt even know we had musky in pool 19.

all in good fun!!!! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

I agree A-n-H

If it puts a bend in the ol Rod, i like to catch it!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: -DannyBoy-</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Carp are fun, for sure, but Walleye's are for people who know a little bit about fishing. haha. </div></div>

OUCH. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif Nothing appealing to me about sitting in a boat all day for a 15 - 20 inch fish (avg) that is brought to the boat in under a minute. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Anyone like sore forearms? Hook one of these on a rod from the bank...

40 lbs

143995656gFnjFC_ph.jpg

42 lbs - my wifes 4th cast that night - /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

157603838AckQkT_ph.jpg

Or the Red Salmon - pound for pound the strongest and most acrobatic fish in fresh water.

144005465barLPg_ph.jpg

Makes it hard to fish for those "little" walleyes after fishing for salmon. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

With all due respect Shoot2, it is clear you have never caught a 30-pound wiper or you would not be claiming that the sockeye is the gamest fish that swims. Now for table fare, there's not much that can beat it. Melt-in-your-mouth succulent. And they are definitely acrobatic, especially when bright and fresh. But once you hook into a wiper, they simply go ballistic and their goal is to strip your reel and they often do.

You really do need to try one.

I'm partial to the "meanness of pike", but I love walleye fishing too, granted our usual avg is more in the 22-25 range but still, I enjoy it. I also like chasing brookies and 'bows in the fall, and down rigging for lakers in the spring.

Bottom line, most of the time I'm fishing, I'm fishing with my brother. It's funny how a guy can take for granted years worth of fishing each night off of shore at the local river while growing up. I've tossed a lot of "pickeral rigs", spent many hours sitting on a lawn chair beside him waiting for a bite. I've paddled many miles in a paddle boat for a day off non stop 7-11 inch perch too.

Like I said, for me, despite the species, a day on the water is usually spent with my brother, and fish cooperation aside, it kind of, for a day or 2 takes me back to that place. No worries, just spending time with someone I took for granted spending each day with for 16 years. I don't know about everyone else, but it sure makes me think about how special those times were back when I didn't realize they were.

Sorry for the ramble.

I agree Sask...sometimes there's nothing like the fierce fight of a pike. They can be a gentle giant until they see the boat, and then the fight is on. We spent 5 days on Rainy a couple of years ago, and the memories of eyes and pike are priceless.

NWBuck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iowa1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With all due respect Shoot2, it is clear you have never caught a 30-pound wiper or you would not be claiming that the sockeye is the gamest fish that swims.
You really do need to try one. </div></div>

I said pound for pound.... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif sockeyes are usually no more than 10-12, not 30.

Nope, never caught a wiper, hook me up! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Top Bottom