Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

National Archery In Schools Program

katy

Ballagh
As I promised here is the most current info on the NASP program in Iowa:

The National Archery in School Program was started in Kentucky about 3-4 years ago by Jeanie Richardson (Kentucky Dept of Fish and Game). Their first year was a bit of a starting point, but it really took off from there. In their second year that had over 80,000 middleschools kids shooting, with 800 going to the state indoor tournament for the NASP. That was the largest indoor kids shoot in the country. Last year they had 190,000 kids taking part in archery and 1,600 Kentucky students shooting in the state tournament. The next day there was only 1,200 archers from accross the country shooting in the NFAA indoor tournament. That is incrediable. It is predicted that at this rate in three years there will be 3 MILLION middle school students introduced to Archery accross the country that probley would not otherwise been introduced to the sport. This program is geared twoard the Middle School age group, but can be done by all.
The equiptment that is being used is the Matthews Genesis bow, which has a draw range of 15" to 30", and goes up to 20 pounds so it can literally be shot by anyone. Arrows are built by Easton which are 1816's. Olympic style targets provided by Delta, which are ethafoam with a layered foam replaceable "Midsection". The backstop netting is made by BCY Fibers, and it stops them dead.
So far we have raised enough money through grants and donations to fund 15 schools 100% of the kits. These donations have been made by the Iowa Bowhunters Association, Iowa State Archery Association, Delta Industries, National Archery In School Program, Iowa DNR and the ASA, (Sorry if I forgot someone). We currently have approx. 10 of the 15 schools certified to instruct the program. There is a grant process that you must go throught if you would like to be one of the remaining schools to recieve the kits at no charge. Please let me know if you would like a grant application. In the second round we plan to fund 50% of the cost of the kits to schools. The kits run at $5000.00 retail, but throught generous donations and manufactures wanting to see this program take off they are selling all the equiptment at their cost of about $2400.00. That's awesome.
To instruct this program you must complete a Level One Archery Instructor Certification Program. This is a 12 hour class given by a Level Two Instructor. This class goes over the Saftey program, Arhcery Range Setup, Steps of Shooting, Teaching a new Archer, Developing Archery Skills, Equiptment, Program Developement, History, and again Safety. This program has a complete ciriculium behind it, so it fits into every schools ciriculium.
We are hoping to get as many schools as possible accross the state to get involoved. In the next year or so we are going to have a state indoor shoot for the kids. This will be a amazing achievement.
I strongly encourage everyone to get behind this, including Phesant Forever, Ducks Unlimited, Whitetails Unlimited, Izzak Walton Leagues, Wild Turkey Federations, local and state chapters for all. This is a awesome program that is very safe and educational. It has been proven that kids stay more involved in school, drop out rates decrease, and there are no limitations on who can do this program. Boys, Girls, Special Ed, Handicapped, etc...
Here are some pictures from our Level Two certification that was held at South East Polk Junior High:
This is a storage box that the MID IOWA ARCHERS donated, take note of the decals on the box, (Guess who designed and but them???)
1146box1-thumb.JPG

This is Olympic Gold and Bronze Medalist, yours truley, and Laverne Woock president of Delta Targets:
1146team_nasp-thumb.JPG

Please let me or ElkHunter know if you need any more info.

Thanks supertech, for the information. I spent some time researching this program on the Internet while waiting for this post and even called on the NASP. I just got my CD to share with our local schools, DNR and Conservation office.

I am very interested in the next Level One and Level Two class. Please put me on the list. My whole family is involved in archery. It is a great family sport and a way to get us all out of the house and to a 3-D shoot. Now that my sons are reaching dating age, it is still nice to see them putting off their dates until after a shoot or hunt. Please let me know when the next dates are.

Joe

I hope that they institute the Program here in C.B.I would love to get my 5yr. old involved to show her the love I have for archery.

I will be posting some more info in the near future as to when the certification classes will be held. I will also be posting the 15 pilot schools that will be participating in the program here in Iowa.
Thanks

Thanks for the update Tec. Can tell you there are some fund raisers in the works to raise money for more schools.Will keep everyone posted.

Just spoke with the Kentucky Fish and Game today. They informed me that there is currently over 1000 schools accross the country that is participating in the NASP program. They expect this number to double by this time next year. I will post who the first 15 in Iowa are later today.

I am currently in the process of opening up my own Pro Shop in my area and currently working with the schools in the area for the NASP program. I have received videos from NASP and the schools seem interested. When the training dates are released, I will be attending a class.

Here is the list of schools currently in the Iowa Archery in the School Program.

1.> Algona Middle School
215 South Harlan Rick Adams/Dan Schreiber
Algona, Iowa 50511 1-515-295-4882

2.> Cherokee Middle School
206 E. Indian St., Box 801 Larry Weede/Jerry McDermott
Cherokee, Iowa 51012 1-712-225-6750

3.> Lake Mills Middle School [email protected]
102 South 4th Ave. Bill Byrnes
Lake Mills, Iowa 50450 1-612-592-0893 Ext. 2205

4.> Eddyville-Blakesburg Middle School [email protected]
407 South Wilson Don Crandall
Blakesburg, Iowa 52536 1-641-938-2202

5.> Southeast Polk School
8032 NE University Julie Juffer/Brian Town
Runnells, Iowa 50237 1-515-967-5509

6.> Crestwood High School [email protected]
1000 Schroeder Drive Keith Slifka
Cresco, Iowa 52136 1-563-547-2764

7.> Winterset Junior/Senior [email protected]
624 Husky Drive Jean Pletchette
Winterset, Iowa 50273 1-515-462-3320

8.> Clinton High School
817 8th Avenue South Tom McCormik
Clinton, Iowa 52732 1-563-243-7540

9.> Clinton Community School District Tom McCormik 1-563-243-7540
Washington Middle School Kirk Dell, Selena Eggers, Gene Gonzales
Lincoln High School Pat Carr
Lyons Middle School Jeff Lakin
Jefferson Middle School (Sharing Equipment)

10.> North Scott Middle School Dave Walters
502 S. 5th Street 1-563-285-3176
Eldridge, Iowa 52748 [email protected]

Page 2.

11.> Denison Middle School [email protected]
1515 Broadway Kevin Dau
Denison, Iowa 51442 1-712-263-9393

12.> Dubuque Hempstead [email protected]
2300 Cheney Road [censored] Weitz
Dubuque, Iowa 52012 1-563-588-5124

Dubuque Senior, Dubuque Washington, Dubuque Jefferson (sharing equipment)

13. > Des Moines Christian

14.> Clarion Middle Schools

15.> Alburnett/Central City

Most schools will start their program this winter. If you from one of the school districts thank the school officials for allowing the program in your school.

Eddyville-Blakesburg is just a hop, skip and a jump from me. Any word on the next certifying class? I am working on Oskaloosa and North Mahaska School right now.

supertec,

Thanks for all the work you are doing to support this great cause! I think the potential for exposing todays youth to archery through this program is incredible.

Keep it up!
grin.gif

Old Buck

Can't wait to get a teaching job and get this program rolling in my school. Great job guys, this has got to be a rewarding experience to have with kids!!

I am currently certified with NASP BAIT I and BAIT II, Im going to school in AMES right now, I would be willing to help with a class in the area to certify instructors or something.

I go to the Oskaloosa Senior High school and they have archery in our school but probably the worst bows in the would.. i think they could use some upgradin.. and good instructors who KNOW that they are doing!!! im a sophmore so i dont do archery this year but will next year and probably as a senior.. and i hate seein kids come out of the class with flippin bruises all over there arms and i have to give tips to prevent that! what real instructor is gunna tell you to straighten ur arm completely... which will cause the arm to get in the way of the string and snap and bruise their arms... one thing that osky needs is arm guards for beginners and a MAJOR UPGRADE OF BOWS!!!!

~Sirovy~

Alex,
Is the OHS archery program connected with IAS or NASP? Or is this something the school has done on their own.
PM me your address & ph # and I'll see if I can help you out.

Top Bottom