Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Native Grass ID

LoessHillsArcher

PMA Member
A few years back we took some clumps of an unknown native grass from a water way out and planted them in our backyard water way. This grass spreads very well and tries popping up all over the yard. Any thoughts on what it is? We'd like to take some more cuttings and put them on the farm where the wildlife can utilize it...but figured we better figure out what we are dealing with first!;)

It seems to favor low areas.
100_1907.jpg

100_1909.jpg

100_1908.jpg

Thanks for the help, I've found exactly what it is.

Common Name: Chinese Silver grass
Scientific Name: Miscanthus sinensis Anderss

It seems to be in the same family as the Giant M that is talked about in "dbltree's corner". I know it spreads very well on its own, just by its root system. Anyone have any imput on putting it on a farm for wildlife use...mostly deer bedding?? I'd rather do switch but thought about giving this a shot in some of our wetter bottoms.

http://www.invasive.org/eastern/eppc/MISI.html

It doesn't give a guy a good feeling when the first website that comes up on a google search is invasive.org!

I would not plant that personally, it's not native and probably invasive. There are better native alternatives IMO.

I see that stuff all over the place. Not that there is a lot of it BUT rather it just stands out so much SO you NOTICE it. Every where I see it- it's not in huge areas, I'd say 1/4 acre or less. Interesting stuff.

The one I want to know more about is a larger grass that looks more like a reed with big plooms on top- favors wet areas almost like cat-tails do on pond edges, slightly dryer areas though but still wet. Anyone have an idea on what that might be?

Sligh what you are discribing sounds like phragmities....great cover but they will choke everything else out until you have a monoculture.

Top Bottom