Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Native Prairie Grasses and Flowers

My grandpa just recently bought a new peice of land that he is going to build a house on. Behind the house there is about half an acre to an acre of grown up grasses and shrubs that my grandpa would like to remove and replace with some native prairie grasses and flowers. He was wondering what method would be most effective when removing the old grasses (round-up, tilling up the soil, etc...). He was also wondering what would be most effective for planting the new prairie grasses and flowers and if they make a mixture that already has native plants in it. The current grasses and shrubs are on a sidehill which is why I told him I might shy away from the roundup method but I am no expert. This is why I am wanting some advice from you. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Burn it all this spring, and then spray it after it greens up...hillside too. Wait another 3-4 weeks and spray it again. An alternative to burning would be to mow it all down this fall. You've gotta get a good kill if you want to establish a good prairie, and you've gotta burn or mow to get a good kill. Till up the flatter areas, and use a seed drill on the hillsides (if you can). Broadcast the seed and cultipack. Or, just use a seed drill everywhere if you don't want to till. Then just burn it every few years.

For the spray, I'd add 1oz/gal of 2-4,D to the glyphosate mixture to get a better kill.

Hope this helps.

Top Bottom