Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Near State Record Bass (Pic Added)

THA4

A Few Steps Ahead Of You
Ryan, any relation of yours???? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
if i can get a hold of some pictures of this hawg, ill post them, but for now, no pix....

<span style="color: #FF0000">

Fred Rudd of Ottumwa went fishing on July 23 to the same Davis County farm pond where he had caught several 20-inch plus largemouth bass this year. Little did he know when he tossed out his double willow bladed spinner bait that this cast would yield a fish of a lifetime, and one to challenge the long-standing state record largemouth bass from Lake Fisher in May 1984. Lake Fisher is also in Davis County.

Rudd was nervous; he felt fairly confident late Wednesday night that he had a new state record, but a friend brought him a scale Thursday morning and the weight was waffling above and below the existing record.

“When all was said and done and I verified the weight on a licensed scale this 24.1-inch largemouth was 10.6 pounds (10 pounds 9.6 ounces). That’s 2.4 ounces short of the state record, but man, what a fish!” said Mark Flammang, district fisheries biologist stationed at Lake Rathbun. “Did the fish weigh more last night? Likely. Was it the state record last night? That’s one for the ages, and stories over coffee with friends. However, the bottom line is it’s very impressive. Can you imagine what that fish weighed last spring?”

Rudd kept the fish alive until late Wednesday night, but it did eventually perish and he is rightfully having this fish mounted. Obviously, he is eligible for an Iowa DNR big fish award, but simply having the reminder on the wall will be amazing.

“This is an incredible fish,” Flammang said. “You just don’t see fish like that in the northern part of the country.”
</span>

Re: Near State Record bass in Davis County!!!

Wow! I would love to see pics of that bucket-mouth! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif

00small35391975.jpg
[/img]

Sounds like a heck of a fish though. Looks a bit like Rudd also.
fish3.jpg
[/img]

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

No relation. Typically Rudd's don't catch anything but poison ivy.
Damn Jay, you caught me on that one. Looks like I need some sleep.

Okay I'll be the first to say it... WHAT THE HECK WAS HE THINKIN NOT TAKING IT IN TO GET IT WEIGHED RIGHT AWAY?

He could have weighed it on any state certified scale in any grocery store. I certify class 3 scales every day, scales up to 30 #. Then all he needed was a game officer to verify the fish. What could've been or was a record....... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif

here is the pic,

thanks for finding it Randy!

largemouth_1_.jpg

And Shovel......

i am laughing pretty hard, that pic of Regis is VERY FUNNY.....

funny!

Great fish. I guess I didn't realize that farm-pond fish counted towards state records. I might have to "jack-up" a few of the fish in my dad's pond. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turtL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great fish. I guess I didn't realize that farm-pond fish counted towards state records. I might have to "jack-up" a few of the fish in my dad's pond. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

</div></div>

No different than a buck shot on private land getting put into the record books...

i think there is quite a difference.

this IS NOT an ethical comparison-

id compare a private pond to a high fence operation. in both situations the residends, i.e. the fish and deer are restricted on where they can go to a smaller area, AND they are grown large at fast rates, thus creating an unrealistic version of reality.

having said that, i LOVE farm pond fishing and think there is no ethical questioning in it whatsoever, i think the IDNR should put an astric by all farm pond entries simply to seperate the fact that public waters like lakes and rivers are very different from Farm ponds.

JMO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THA4</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> i think the IDNR should put an astric by all farm pond entries simply to seperate the fact that public waters like lakes and rivers are very different from Farm ponds.

JMO </div></div>

I think they need an asterisk behind deer taken on leased properties. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JNRBRONC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I think they need an asterisk behind deer taken on leased properties. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif </div></div>

hoofline.gif

Interesting that this subject was brought up. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I just finished writing up a poll re: record book deer and private/leased property. I will post it in about a week, it may generate some good discussion. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

hoofline.gif

Would you like more information about becoming a PMA or Life Member? &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Details Here!&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt; <u>iowawhitetail.com, Iowa's number one resource for the whitetail deer.</u>
11.jpg

Not all Farm ponds are private. Most in my area are more public than public land, everyone & their dog has been fishing them for 30 + years. These fish have seen every gimick & gadget that's out there.

But, I do know what you mean about Private ponds. I have fished one & I tried anything in my tackle box one day & caught fish on almost everything. It almost got boring, too easy.

So, what are your thoughts on record walleye or musky living in lakes that have slot or length limits? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AND they are grown large at fast rates, thus creating an unrealistic version of reality. </div></div>

Somebody correct me if this is wrong.
I've allways heard that fish will only grow as large as their habitat will allow them. IE....a fish in a ten gallon aquarium will not get as large as the same fish in a 20 gallon. Isn't this the same principle as pond fish? A fish in a 5 acre farm pond won't get as large as the same fish in a 1000 acre lake?
If this is the case then a farm pond 10 lb bass is more impressive than a 10 lb from a public lake.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shovelbuck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I've allways heard that fish will only grow as large as their habitat will allow them. IE....a fish in a ten gallon aquarium will not get as large as the same fish in a 20 gallon. Isn't this the same principle as pond fish? </div></div>

From reading about farm pond management, a farm pond will grow X pounds of fish total. So you can have a million small fish or a few very large fish, or a healthy mix somewhere inbetween. For every pound of fish you remove, that many pounds of fish "grows back". This is considering that there are no supplemental feedings.

Now if a person was running a feeder on his pond, then it's starting to look like a high fence deer hunt to me.

Top Bottom