Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Near State Record Bass (Pic Added)

Re: Near State Record bass in Davis County!!!

didnt intend to ruffle any feathers..... and Randy, that was just mean! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

ahhm....

i do A LOT of fishing, farm ponds included, maybe someone can answer me this. why in a lake that has everything it needs to produce large fish, Bass for example, cant seem to put out fish bigger than 4-5 lbs. yet a lake just down the road yeilds 7 pounders occasionally.......

however, most, not all, farm ponds are remarkable fisheries! yes some suck, maybe due to poor management, but why do most, if not all panfish and bass records in most midwestern states come from farm ponds???

if the size of the fishery reflected the size of the fish, then huge, near record breaking, fish would be coming out of Iowa lakes and rivers on a regular basis, which they dont. yes, great fish do come out of those fisheries, but more often than not, it is the farm ponds that produce the real trophy fish.

(bass and panfish)

again! im not against farm ponds, they are an incredible resource and love to fish them whenever i can, however, i do not consider it a challenge and feel more proud of a 5-6 lbs. largemouth i caught out of a public lake, than an 8-9 lbs bass from a farm pond.

my only reason for comparison was this, you have a large number of large fish in a small, very confined area, as opposed to average to good fish in a large expansive area. this to me provides a different perspective on how to record noteworthy fish! pond fishing has no ethical question in my mind, BUT i think these fisheries producing so many records raises the question of "isnt this more like fish in a barrel?"

again, not to ruffle any feathers, just some food for thought.....

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Another thing for thought, the bass are bigger in farm ponds due to management.

Example, public hunting ground has some big bucks on it, but it also has the weekend warriors that are there to deer hunt and harvest a deer, no matter the size of rack or if it even has one. Also, it gets alot of pressure. While some private ground may have only one hunter on there havesting only mature bucks and a few does to keep in check.

Out of both situations, which do you think is more likely to produce a bigger buck? I think the same can be said about a farm pond.

Just some more food for thought, but don't eat it Thomas. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

Wow, now I know why I don't fish very much....you guys think way too much about this sort of thing.........(just my opinion ofcourse)

Top Bottom