Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Nebraska Non-res filming

Scooter1

Ive been invited to film some turkey hunts for a couple of friends in Nebraska in May. I was wondering if anyone knows what permits are needed to do so. Again, i wont be hunting, just filming. I know Iowa requires a licence for ANY participant, but I dont know about Neb. Thanks

Thanks Shovel. I did some poking around on that site earlier tonight, but didnt find anything. (didnt look real hard though:drink1:) I sent them an E-mail...

I would not think you need anything to run the camera. I am sure none of the guys shooting video of Iowa hunts have a license for deer or turkey unless they trade off filming/shooting.

I would tell my buddies, if I am coming out to Nebraska, I am going to be shooting as well and you can film me. Id buy a tag!! :)

I would not think you need anything to run the camera. I am sure none of the guys shooting video of Iowa hunts have a license for deer or turkey unless they trade off filming/shooting.

I hope thats correct. I really dont want to spend $91 on a permit if Im not going to hunt. Im sure Ill have a good time either way. I just enjoy being out there.

I am sure none of the guys shooting video of Iowa hunts have a license for deer or turkey unless they trade off filming/shooting.

If they are professionals they have license or they are breaking the law. You are aiding in the hunt and that will require a license/habitat to film in Iowa. As far as I know, most other states require the same, but a double check is worth it.

You are aiding in the hunt and that will require a license/habitat to film in Iowa

Not to hijack the thread, but how are you aiding the hunt by filming? If anything, an extra person is a hinderance.

Thomas that is incorrect. You may accompany (observe) any hunter afield without a license in Iowa. You may not however assist which means call, carry a weapon, ect.

I believe it is the same in Nebraska but you had better check the regs.

Filming falls into the observing category and you may film/ photograph without a license as long as you are carrying no equipment that will be used to harvest the animal the hunter is pursuing.

Filming falls into the observing category and you may film/ photograph without a license as long as you are carrying no equipment that will be used to harvest the animal the hunter is pursuing.

So I can carry all of my camera stuff, but no calls, or weapons. A chair and a blind isnt considered harvest eqpt, is it?

It is very vague on what they say.

All Participants Must be Licensed
- All
participants in a hunt must be properly licensed
and have paid the appropriate fees. It is up to the
discretion of the conservation officer to determine
whether or not a person is “participating.”
Participation includes, but is not limited to,
handling firearms or ammunition during the hunt,
trying to attract game, driving, flushing, or locating
game, and working dogs.

A

resident hunter with a valid spring turkey
hunting license for any season may assist other hunters
in any season. A nonresident may assist other
hunters only in the zone and season indicated on
their license. The hunter doing the assisting may not
carry a shotgun or bow or shoot a turkey unless he or
she has a valid license and an unfilled transportation
tag for that zone and season.

Can't find anything saying that you can observe a hunt without a license. That must be where the game warden comes in to say who is and isn't participating. Let's play devil's advocate. Camera man sitting there taping saying, not yet, don't shoot, don't have him in the cam yet. OK he is in the cam, go ahead and take him. He is telling the hunter when to pull the trigger, sounds like participating to me......

It is a stupid law I know and I believe if your not hunting you should be able to go and watch but hopefully the DNR is cool about it as well if your stopped.

Last edited:
Ill wait to see what the E-mail I get back says. If I dont hear from them, ill just buy the license to cover my rear. Better safe than sorry. Stay tuned for pics and video(fingers crossed) Ill also let everyone know what comes of this conversation after talking to the proper authorities...

Top Bottom