Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Nebraska or Kansas??

FinBonZ

Life Member
Following up Booner's post on Neb. or S.D., I need some input on which state you prefer. I am sure a lot of have been to one or both. Any input is helpful. Would be gun hunting at least the first time out.

Thanks ahead of time for your replies on here or through pm's!

Just looking to hunt something other than Easterns. Do it yourself/ knock on doors/ public land hunting. Would like to try a couple trips out before taking my son on a hunt in a few years.

Hunted nebraska several times, kansas only once, so my experience is limited. I would tend to lean towards nebraska from my experience, especially on a DIY/knock on doors type hunt. Im sure it varies alot across the state, but in my experience, many of the kansas people seemed fed up with non-res hunters, and werent near as friendly to us as Nebraska land owners. I could go to nebraska right now and literally have permission on several thousand acres in about an hour. Also, the area we went in kansas didnt seem to have near as many birds as the area I hunt in nebraska (and the area I go in nebraska isnt even really known for its turkey hunting), but again, that varies alot from location to location, year to year, etc..

Feel free to PM me and I can give you more information if you would like..

Just looking to hunt something other than Easterns. Do it yourself/ knock on doors/ public land hunting. Would like to try a couple trips out before taking my son on a hunt in a few years.

Come on down and meet me in NM for real, native (not transplanted) mountain Merriams! 2 OTC tags and all the public ground you can stomach, plus a private cabin. I've even got a great wing bone call I'll loan you! :way:

Come on down and meet me in NM for real, native (not transplanted) mountain Merriams! 2 OTC tags and all the public ground you can stomach, plus a private cabin. I've even got a great wing bone call I'll loan you! :way:

That would be a fun hunt! Have never hunted period out west.

Now, back to Nebraska or Kansas I am going to go to Nebraska with the $94 permit I think that is tough to beat price wise for a non-res. You don't have to travel that far west to get a Merriam (technically a hybrid, but looks like a Merriam) as well.

I'll admit that once I figured out Merriam's out here, I've gotten spoiled hunting turkeys out west (even when I don't fill a tag, which is not rare). Early mornings out here in the mountains of AZ and NM are way more fun than the early mornings of IA. Although I do miss the private land and relatively unpressured birds I grew up with back there in Iowa.

Steve, anytime you want to meet up out here in AZ or NM, let me know. I've got spots I'll share!

Might have to do that one of these years Brian!!

Thanks for your help and keep the suggestions coming.

Now, back to Nebraska or Kansas I am going to go to Nebraska with the $94 permit I think that is tough to beat price wise for a non-res. You don't have to travel that far west to get a Merriam (technically a hybrid, but looks like a Merriam) as well.

Plenty of them in north east and central part of the state.

I went to Kansas a couple of years ago about an hour west of Kansas City for opening. Was tough hunting trying to get one dumb enough to come in bow range. I went to Nebraska last year opening archery. Was out in NW Nebraska chasing Merriams on public land. It was alot of work out there, but was an awesome hunt. Heading back out there for archery opener again this year. Can't wait to show the old man up again this year.
If you are gun hunting, you should have some good success either way you go.
I don't have any input on public ground in Kansas. We were lucky enough to hunt on private ground there.
I'm not sure how much pressure there would be on public ground in Nebraska during gun season but we had no competition during the early archery season and there were alot of birds

Top Bottom