Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Nebraska or South Dakota

Booner

Ok fellas I'm looking for a little bit of help.

Couple buddies and myself are looking to put the finishing touches up on a spring turkey hunt for this coming spring. We are after our unicorn, snow white. I personally could care less if it was a hybrid or a true Merriam. We are in a bit of a pickle and can't decide if we should put in for the draw in South Dakota or if Nebraska is the way to go in terms of less hassle with over the counter tag availability .

My question for anyone with experience or prior knowledge with dealing with the draw, how likely are we to get drawn in counties with average tag quotas (15 non resident tags on average-with 70 being the high I believe). Obviously our first choice would be to put in, in the counties in the south central part of south Dakota with high Merriam/hybrid populations as well as high quotas. Another thought (which I like the best) would be to buy over the counter tags in Nebraska and not have to deal with putting in per-say for a tag like SD. Money isn't the issue (SD is a better deal- 2 tags for 100.00) were (Nebraska is one tag for 90.00ish and then habitat fee)

Any help guys would be greatly appreciated. The trip has been in the works for a couple years and this year it seems its finally going to come together, if only we can all agree on an area :rolleyes:

I went to NE. But went all the way west so I didnt have to deal with hybrids. Plenty of public land.

Why not put in for SD and if you draw go kill two there and swing through NE and hunt there? Forget the slams and just hunt. A turkey is a turkey no matter what color. Have fun and good luck.

Went to Nebraska last year and had an absolute blast. Low hunting pressure, easy access usually. Heck we had a hard time eating lunch at a diner or resturaunt and not getting asked if we needed a place to hunt!!:way:

Never been to NE but did hunt Merriams in SD about 6 years ago. Freakin blast and I have never seen so many gobblers in my life.

I woudl guess of the 6 birds we shot 4 were pure bred Merriams and 2 were hybrids.

Kratz

Top Bottom