Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Nebraska Rainy Gobbler

b0huntr147

Rained all weekend here in Eastern NE but a friend and I had this hunt planned for a week so were determined to go. We were hunted a pasture filled with cedar trees outside of the a large timbered draw in the SE part of the state, he hadn't hunted this particular property in several years but there was always birds in the area in the past. We setup about 30 minutes before shooting light and things were really quiet until about 20 minutes after shooting. A tom finally let out a gobble about 100 yards away on the roost.

We called very sparingly just to let him know where we were, after he flew down never made another peep. After about an hour of sitting the in pouring rain, good thing we had the double bull, he finally started coming through the cedars. As soon as he spotted the strutting decoy he committed at a run and was on top of us in no time. I was bowhunting and my friend was hunting shotgun so we had a deal that if 2 came in I would shoot first then he would clean up the 2nd bird. Well it just so happened that a jake was trailing the tom.

I shot the tom at 15 yards with a spitfire gobbler gitter and he made it about 20 yards and piled up. The jake bumped out the about 50 before my friend could be a shot off. The jake dropped and started flopping so we got out of the blind to collect out birds, but the jake jumped back up and walked away. As we started to follow the feather trail from him we saw fly off through woods and we never found him. We almost had the double but it was still good the bring one home.

The tom ended up with a 11" beard and 1.25" spurs, I never did take a weight on him. Bow is an Elite Synergy, if anybody is looking for a good broadhead for turkey I highly recommend the gobbler gitters. I have not had one pass completely through the bird, but the always stick out the other side and cause a lot of damage.

Well done on the Tom. Sounds like the jake may make it and is probably quite a bit smarter now.

Ya I'm guessing the jake will be just fine also. There was a lot of feathers on the ground where he shot so I think the shot just knocked it off its feet.

Top Bottom