Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Nebraska Wiping Out Fishery

blake

Life Member
Nebraska Wiping Out Fishery to Eliminate Undesirable Species

LINCOLN, Neb. - The North Platte I-80 City Lake will be treated with the chemical rotenone on August 21 to eliminate the entire fish population as part of a fishery renovation project by Nebraska Game and Parks Commission. There will be no public access to the lake during chemical application.

Undesirable species dominate the fishery, producing limited angling opportunities. The reintroduction of various fish species into the lake will be completed this fall. Initial stockings will include largemouth bass, bluegill and channel catfish. Additional stockings will be considered. Quality fishing should be expected in two to three years.

A regulation that will ban the use of live baitfish at this lake will go into effect following the renovation. Game and Parks is salvaging desirable fish from the lake and stocking them in other I-80 lakes.

Contact Game and Parks' southwest district office in North Platte at 308-535-8025 for more information.

helping the fishing

Rotenone has been used a lot we had some a long time ago and used it on a pond and it did not work i guess we didn't use enough, people will gripe about shutting down the lake but will be happy when it's better, re-stocking is good but they need to add structure also, all fish need to relate to an object same as people, although fish can call a stick home, structure is simple to make and i don't know why the local DNR's don't use evergreen tree's in stead of grinding them for mulch, when we lived in Tulsa a few years back they collected them during Xmas time and put them in lakes they lasted for years, stressed out fish do not do well.

Top Bottom