Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Need Advice on Arrow Fletching

mr4play72

PMA Member
In the past I've not had very good luck doing my own arrows but I think i will try it again. I currently am shooting Beman carbons and plan to reuse the shafts. I think that I would like to try using wraps. Any suggestions on wraps, glue type, vane type and how to clean the shafts would be helpful.

The easiest way I've found to apply wraps is to get yourself a computer mouse pad (the foam type that are slightly squishy). Peel the backing off the wrap and lay it sticky side up of the mouse pad making sure that the wrap in laying parallel to the edge. Then it's a simple as rolling your arrow across the mouse pad with a little pressure from your fingers. Works like a snap and leave no air bubbles to worry about.

I've been fletching my own arrows for about 7 years now. It's not too hard, just takes a little time. Do a search on here and you'll find a ton of info. That's pretty much how I learned plus actually doing it.

That being said, here's how I do mine. My bemans have the iowawhitetail wrap on them, but any wrap will work. Before putting on the wrap, I clean the arrow with denatured alcohol. Place the wrap on a flat surface and roll the arrow over it. I use the elite plastifletch vanes, but several archers use blazers. I use the elite fastset gel to adhere them to the shaft. I clean the wrap again and also wipe the bottom of the fletch. Several glues will work (goat tuff/fletch tite) with the wraps.

Using this method, I've yet to have any problems. The only negative that I see with a wrap is that you have to take off the wrap and all vanes when repairing one of them. I suppose you could cut off one vane and adhere a new one to the same spot, but I'd rather replace the whole thing. Besides, the wrap makes arrow flight easier to see and the arrows look cool.

Best of luck!

I just fletched my first arrows this past spring. I am shooting Gold Tip carbons but I don't know why the same technique wouldn't work on your Bemans.

After you peel off the old fletching wipe down the area with acetone. I bought a gallon for next to nothing at Menards...just get some on a rag (wear rubber gloves) and wipe the shaft until all the old residue is gone.
Let the shaft dry good.
Put your wrap on like the guys said above.
Get your jig set up and glue the vanes to the wraps. I used plain old Fletch Tite and it's worked so far. No vanes have flown off or worked loose.

I fletched a half dozen from start to finish in about an hour. I'll bet next time it takes half as long.

I want to fletch up another batch of older Easton carbons I've got laying around and try shooting them this fall. I think I want to try the glow in the dark wraps, blazers, and then lumenoks on the end. I think that combo *could* make searching in the dark a bit easier if luck is your side.

Good luck.

gold tip says to prep their arrows by washing them with dish soap. this has worked well for me.

Top Bottom