Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Need Deer Liver or Heart... not kidding...

Packnasty

I just got a new pup, and will be training him to track wounded deer. It's been a long process, as I've been doing a lot of research...but I just purchased a wirehaired dachshund. (for those interested in taking it up, see the following website: http://born-to-track.com/).

However, I did not have the forsight to save any deer blood (I've read that lots of people just drag a thawed out deer liver or heart) for training. Are there any readers out there that would be willing to help me out?

Thanks, Matt.

If nobody can help, I would think you would be able to go find a road kill fairly easily.

I just got a new pup, and will be training him to track wounded deer. It's been a long process, as I've been doing a lot of research...but I just purchased a wirehaired dachshund. (for those interested in taking it up, see the following website: http://born-to-track.com/).

However, I did not have the forsight to save any deer blood (I've read that lots of people just drag a thawed out deer liver or heart) for training. Are there any readers out there that would be willing to help me out?

Thanks, Matt.

A thought that comes to mind is to keep your eyes peeled for the next road kill that you see and have some gloves, a knife and a plastic bag handy, if you know what I mean. :D

The dog trainers that I know use cow blood. Go to your local locker and ask them what day they kill cattle on. Chances are they will let you stop by with a bucket and fill it up.

I've got a knife, jar, ziplocks, and towel in my truck waiting to find that road kill. I haven't come across any fresh kills though (I am willing, and will admit that I've salvage-tagged road kill before. I can speak from experience that it's not a good idea to gut a deer on Lincoln Way in Ames).

Cow/pig blood is my backup.

I'm very excited, as I'm colorblind and a worthless tracker. My fiance is pleased as well, since I will (hopefully) no longer depend on her to track for me.

I must be wrong, but I thought it was illegal to track deer (wounded or not) with a dog.

still illegal...yes. Most of the northern states banned all dogs associated with deer hunting, which included tracking dogs. Nine states have changed their rules in the last 4 years...and I've read rumors on forums that IA will be allowing it shortly.

Last edited:
Im sorry but your using a weiner dog???:D

Great dogs had one when I was growing up.....didnt think of him as much of a tracker tho. He was known to take on coons now and then.

Last edited:
Im sorry but your using a weiner dog???:D

Great dogs had one when I was growing up.....didnt think of him as much of a tracker tho. He was known to take on coons now and then.

The purebred wirehaired dachshunds were originally derived from a smooth-hair and 2 other breeds, I think. From everything I've read, the wirehaired dachshund will give can pick up a cold scent every bit as good as a bloodhound. The pup is german, and the germans are apparently big on blood tracking dogs. Both the wirehaired dachshund and deutsch drahthaar (like a german wirehaired pointer) are difficult to find outside of germany. I almost got a deutsch drahthaar instead, but the fiance didn't want such a big dog.

I'll give it a try. It better work...otherwise I've blown a lot of time and money on a very expensive house dog.

Besides wirehaired dachshunds and deutsch drahthaars, people use black mountain curs, dachsbrackes, bloodhounds, labs, basset hounds, beagles, and other dachshund varieties. I looked hard for a mutt puppy, but couldn't find one that had a good line scent.

I would get deer blood. During the deer classic they had a shed dog seminar and the guy said that dogs noses are amazing. To prove it he broke a piece of antler up so it looked like a piece of deer bone and then he threw it in a pile full of deer bones that looked exactly the same. The dog went to the pile and picked out the pieces of antler instantly. When you are training it will be hard to find a way to keep your human scent from being tracked as well.

Also - when law enforcement first started training a drug dog they used one 5 gram pack of cocaine from Asia. When the dog went out in the real world it walked righty by a full truckload of cocaine from South America or something. It wasn't that it didn't smell the cocaine - but it was searching for that one specific brand and amount of cocaine. Now they use all different brands and amounts to train the dogs and it works awesome.

Last edited:
Packnasty said:
Besides wirehaired dachshunds and deutsch drahthaars, people use black mountain curs, dachsbrackes, bloodhounds, labs, basset hounds, beagles, and other dachshund varieties. I looked hard for a mutt puppy, but couldn't find one that had a good line scent.

Wirehaired dachshunds are one of the first breeds that come to mind for blood tracking for me. My feelings are hurt that you didn't include pudelpointers on your list though. I posted a thread in the PMA awhile ago about a pup on a bloodtrack, check it out.
Drathaars are easier to find than what you implied, if you think about getting one in the future look up your local NAVHDA club they could definitely point you in the right direction. There's quite a few around in the Midwest.

dominator said:
Also - when law enforcement first started training a drug dog they used one 5 gram pack of cocaine from Asia. When the dog went out in the real world it walked righty by a full truckload of cocaine from South America or something. It wasn't that it didn't smell the cocaine - but it was searching for that one specific brand and amount of cocaine. Now they use all different brands and amounts to train the dogs and it works awesome.

I'm not saying this story isn't true, but that's a new one to me. I didn't even know you could get coke from asia. I will say this about a dog walking by a truckload of dope though, it is way harder for a dog to locate the source of a large amount of odor as opposed to a small amount. The scent basically overwhelms and confuses them. They can smell it, but they can have a hard time pinpointing the source. Anyways, as far as different "brands" dope is dope, and I would suspect blood is blood when it comes to training. If the dog is trained to track blood I highly doubt the dog is going to care if it's from a cow, pig, or deer. Even if the dog cared that much, the odds of starting on a track of a shot deer and coming across the track of a bleeding cow are about zero. The good thing about tracking blood is once it hits the ground, that odor is there for a long time. It's not going to quickly dissipate, so if it's there the dog should find it.

You talking bout the one on Mulberry.. that's only like a mile or so from me as the crow flies.. ;)

No the one on 22......there is actually 2 of them but one is pretty much just a pile of hair and blood now..... hey wouldnt that work great for dog training:D

Top Bottom