Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Need help hunting the corn. ASAP

quackmaster

Hey guys,

I need some advice. I'm going to Kansas on wednesday for the muzzleloader season. Found out they haven't cut the corn or beans yet. We don't have much corn growing around here so I don't know what I should do differently. Any advice? Here is the aerial. This is a 640 acre section.
992kansas2-med.jpg

It's kind of hard to tell from the aerial but to me it looks like you should concentrate on the small bean field in the center of the property. If I was a deer I would feel safer there. A little more concealment. Try to find a spot or two where you can also keep an eye out in the field to the north. Unless the deer happen to be walking the edge of the corn field you will never see them in there so I would try to catch them going to and coming from the corn. Of course the winds will dictate where you should set up so a climber may be your best tool here. Good luck.........it looks like a nice place.

A couple quick scouting tips may help aid in your hunt.

Have the beans turned yet? If they are still mostly green I would try hunting those food sources - you might find your mature bucks bedding in the corn and coming out late to feed.

Oaks? Do any of the draws and tree lines hold white oaks? If so they should start dropping and they will probably hit these over the beans.

Water? Are the streams dried up? If so I would look hard at some of the iscolated pools or the pond(s).

Good luck and look forward to hearing how it went.

I agree...I'd set up on the east side of the creek (corn field side) where the two creeks come together.

But I also like the looks of that long fenceline along the bean field leading up to the bigger pond.

I dont think I've ever seen a piece with so little trees on it
blush.gif
heres what i like, whats in white i would try nights, whats in red I would try mornings. I wouldn't doubt alot of the big boys are bedded in the corn if it is still up. goodluck in whatever you do and keep us posted
smile.gif

1005992kansas2-med.jpg

Thanks for the info guys. I hunted here last year, but the corn was out.
The diaganal line of trees is an old rail line, no tracks now though.
I saw several bucks and two good 160+ in the SE field (which was beans last year). Last year at about 8:30 they laid down 238 yds out in the beans off the west tree line not too far from that bottom red X. After a couple of hours I decided to crawl to them. When I got 210 yds from the tree line I knew I was right on top of them. I waited another hour in the same spot. At 11:30 I decided to eaze up to see if I could see their heads down in the beans. I was ready for anything, wind was strait out of the south so they couldn't smell me. A big 10 stood up and couldn't quite tell what was going on. He started trotting to the south and a vividly remember saying out loud "Lay-up" Put the bead on his shoulder (no scopes in Kansas early ML) and let her bark. 25 yard shot. After the smoke clears, he never changes his gait and jogs to the south to the creek bed. He never crossed the creek. I looked until dark, fearing I had gut shot him. Never found a drop of blood or him. I wanted to throw up. When I get back I will let ya'll know how it went.

Top Bottom