Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Need help

Youngbuck1030

Bowhunter
M in the stand and wondering
1. If there are cows making noise around me, am I busted for the night?
2.if I rattle should I just tickle the antlers or make a FIGHT?

Thanks

I would think that if the cattle are around and the deer are used to the noise it won't bother em of there some distance between em. Also, with the rut right around the corner I'd still just lightly rattle. Make it sound like two young bucks are sparring/practicing. Maybe make an old dominant buck curious. Good luck!

Youngin, I think bow is right. The cows won't hurt anything and rattle as if two younger bucks are sparring. The heavy stuff is a couple weeks off.

Agreed on everything. Just make sure to investigate any sound, even if you think a cow is making the noise. I lost an opportunity at a 5 X 5 years back that was walking behind my tree, I thought it was a calf heading towards his mama! Lesson learned!!

Agreed on everything. Just make sure to investigate any sound, even if you think a cow is making the noise. I lost an opportunity at a 5 X 5 years back that was walking behind my tree, I thought it was a calf heading towards his mama! Lesson learned!!

I lost the chance at a doe my first year of bow hunting because I thought it was a squirrel! So many times I thought deer were coming that year when it was just the squirrels making noise, so I let my guard down that time.

But agreed, the deer should be ok with cows making noise, as long as they aren't too close. Probably more so with does/fawns than bucks tho. I had a buck get pushed out of some timber last year (I assume by the two coyotes that I saw heading that direction) into a group of cows, and he acted like he wanted nothing to do with them. Probably wanted to get away from the coyotes too. I've also had some deer pushed out to me by cows walking thru the timber, but the deer weren't spooked. And I have trail cam pics of deer and cows in the same field eating. May depend on where you are hunting and what the cows and deer are doing. If the cows come under the stand and stay, then I'd say chances of deer coming under the stand at the same time are slim or reduced at best. But if they move on thru, especially before normal deer movement in that spot, they won't mind.

Frickin squirrels make more noise than deer do it seems. I've been let down more than once thinkin a big brute was coming my way.

Top Bottom