Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

need help

My best friends dad shot a monster and we cant find it. My friends dad has not shot a buck in years so after hard work of food plots and setting up stands for him he finally shot one last weekend. Clean pass through and bunch of blood with air bubbles in it, but then it stopped. so we backed out and left it over night. Next morning we found a lot more blood 500 yards down and buck has crossed the road in to a corn field that has not been picked yet. He left a huge trail for us to track him for a bout a mile through a corn field and then we found his bed witch was not really bloody. After that we are still unable to find any more blood to continue tracking. What can we do. He lost so much blood its unreal!! he was bleeding/squirting from both sides through the corn row.... How could have he got back up after bedding down at night???? Please help any advice would be appreciated.

Was the blood on the corn stalks on both sides, if so, he should be a dead deer. It would be real hard for a buck to survive a pass through unless it missed all vitals?

Agree with the crew. If he s lost as much blood as you say he smoke city done for sure, and with air bubbles it makes me think it's a single lung. They can go a long ways with only a single lung. And they will get up from the first bed, but the second bed i have my doubts. A corn field is hard to search. (Search the lowest point close by) and then search water they always go to water idc what anyone says they do) i don't know about the legalities of this, but I'd take a drone up) AND there doesn't have to be much blood in the bed he hunched up, and bled internally. He Should be blowing blood out the nose pretty good by now.

The blood was on both sides on the corn stocks, bushes, water ways you name it... It was the most blood I have ever seen tracking a deer, but it would stop periodically . Just unbelievable. We have been searching from Sunday morning , a lot of people are giving up and say he is gone. But I refuse to believe that because of the amount of blood we have found. Drone is a good idea, I might have to ask a buddy for a favor....

He has been after this deer for last four years. We are guessing he is around 190-200 range... So sad makes me sick to my stomach, just unbelievable!

I agree he's probably a dead deer, but weird things do happen. Best bet is to hit likely areas first as Trapshooter1 suggested, then start gridding that field. On the bright side, if he's dead in the field, he will get found when the combine rolls through. Have you looked at an aerial map and marked out the path that he's taken so far? Sometimes if you mark out the blood trail, you can get a general idea of what he is doing or where he may be heading. Maybe not, but it's worth a try. Good luck!

One other thing is to think about any other properties that buck calls home. You may or may not know where else he lives, if anywhere, but he may be headed for another property that he calls home. Any pictures from the neighbors that would make you think he spends some time elsewhere? Just another thought.

Pavel where are u located??? I had my bow buck do the same thing to me last year. After shot found little blood at the area where he stood, then he got to the corn stalks and just gushed. Then bedded, had a spot of blood in the bottom of bed the size of a quarter. I lost hope. Continued the search and he started to spray out of his nose. Deer shot at 8 am, found at 2:30. I crawled through some serious briar patches searching. Cause I wasn't going to give up.

Might be a silly question but considered a tracking dog of some sort? A buddy of mine brought his (untrained) bloodhound pup to a bloodtrail i thought surely had ended. Sure enough, 500yrds from last blood and in a completely different area than expected, the pup looked down & licked a leaf that had a single drop of blood on it. I can only imagine how sickening it is to lose a deer of that size & history so at this point it could be worth it? Good luck & keep posted

Might be a silly question but considered a tracking dog of some sort? A buddy of mine brought his (untrained) bloodhound pup to a bloodtrail i thought surely had ended. Sure enough, 500yrds from last blood and in a completely different area than expected, the pup looked down & licked a leaf that had a single drop of blood on it. I can only imagine how sickening it is to lose a deer of that size & history so at this point it could be worth it? Good luck & keep posted
Can't recall if that's legal in iowa, the dog?

Can't recall if that's legal in iowa, the dog?
No its not legal but.......... I could never figure that law out. Am I missing something here? What is wrong with using whatever means possible to find a wounded animal.

We will look for crows and eagles and see if we can spot some. It has been raining here for last tree days which makes it hard also.

No its not legal but.......... I could never figure that law out. Am I missing something here? What is wrong with using whatever means possible to find a wounded animal.
Same. Any dog I'm accustomed to would not aid in hunting any live deer anyways and helpful with recovery. Probably the running of them, like yotes?

Good luck OP, hope you guys find it

I was told by our C.O a few years ago you can use a dog as long as it is leashed? Might want to call your c.o and explain the situation and ask if you can, if he says no then I guess you go "pheasant" hunting in the area you last seen blood!

With all due respect for the "experts" in the world, air bubbles mean diddley naught! Bubbly blood is more likely from a moving deer frothing the blood as it runs regardless of where it comes from. The distance you've tracked pretty much rules out a chest hit. Even a single lung hit won't go that far with all the blood loss you describe! That said, even a muscle hit can result in enough blood loss to kill him and it sounds like that may be what happened... maybe. They will bleed less as the tank gets empty and death gets near. If he's dead, I'm betting he's not that far from where you lost blood sign. A bunch of people searching or someone "out for a walk" with a well trained blood trailing dog (on a leash) may be your best bet. Good luck!!! Keep us posted!

If it has went that far I would say it’s safe to say nothing vital was hit. probably a high chest shot. They are tough animals, i’ve followed a few blood trails like that and it’s hard to believe they can bleed so much and not die.

Top Bottom