Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

need hunting ground in SW IA

Southwest Iowa is heavily hunted and the numbers are way down from what they were four our five years ago. There are still good spots but in the end you will have to big $$$ to get on the good spots. Also forgot to add SW Iowa is the poaching capitol of the world so you will have to put up with tons of crap with illegal hunting and poachers.

Tell us how you really feel...

Southwest Iowa is heavily hunted and the numbers are way down from what they were four our five years ago. There are still good spots but in the end you will have to big $$$ to get on the good spots. Also forgot to add SW Iowa is the poaching capitol of the world so you will have to put up with tons of crap with illegal hunting and poachers.

I've hunted ground all over the state and that stuff is everywhere, not just SW Iowa.

Recently started bow hunting need ground in Sw IA May lease prefer free hunting...very respectful will take even doe only spots help a new Hunter get into bow hunting please pm me with any help..Thanks!!

I have lived and hunted in SW Iowa for over 30 years, not sure what all the fuss is about, I do agree with 6 x 6 and why you waiting until the week before?Anyway, we aren't as heavy in timber or bush as our friends in the central part or eastern part but that's cause we have good dirt. That said, I would spend some time chasing guys down driving combines. You want to hunt a piece, not sure who's ground it is, wait until they unload the combine and "hi I am SWIowaMonsters" better use real name, yikes.

Poaching problem, calls TIPs, no more here than anywhere and I would say less, we don't have as many animals.

One more thing, I hunt Taylor and I have to go east 2 hours and south. I think of it as South Central Iowa.

The one thing I can say with certainty and thats Iowa has some good bucks almost everywhere, thanks to Lee Gladfelter and the wisdom of the Iowa DNR to let its wildlife biologist determine what was best for our herd. When and if we ever get away from that management style we are doomed. Pass it on to your legislators, CO, The NRC and good old Gov. B.

The cool thing about Iowa is you can find people that still let you hunt, we have plenty of very kind farm families to ask.

Last but not least, hope you have a great season, myself I have been waiting all year to get away from everyone, including you guys :) and just relax hoping for a good one. No matter what, we all win because we call Iowa home. Make it better than you found it. Peace

Tell us how you really feel...
If you knew of half of the storys of the crap we put up with every year it would floor most everyone on this site.

The good news is the DNR is getting better and better at catching the rat bastards. Hopefully after some locals getting caught last year pretty much red handed and having to pay big dollars in fines it might at least make a couple of them think twice before breaking out the high power rifles, and shooting from the road, and trespassing, and just cutting racks off and wasting the rest of the deer, and the lists continue.

If you knew of half of the storys of the crap we put up with every year it would floor most everyone on this site.

The good news is the DNR is getting better and better at catching the rat bastards. Hopefully after some locals getting caught last year pretty much red handed and having to pay big dollars in fines it might at least make a couple of them think twice before breaking out the high power rifles, and shooting from the road, and trespassing, and just cutting racks off and wasting the rest of the deer, and the lists continue.

Yeah, that happens everywhere

I would for sure suggest getting on the IA DNR website and finding some good public ground to hunt. It won't be hard to find some good PG, it is everywhere.
We live in the state that is blessed some to steller public. get on the sight check out the tops and start hunting. Good luck

Trust me, we have property in the Blockton area. Just as others have said, we have all had our "poaching" experiences. I am almost positive the buck I was after was poached last year. I know who shot it, but have no way to necessarily prove it was taken illegally.

Top Bottom