Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Need ideas for skull and spine display/mount

fishorhunt

My son thinks it would look 'wicked' if we found a way to bleach out and display this skull and the spine that iy still attached. This is the buck I found on Saturday. After I bleach this out do you think I could run some rerod up the inside or outside of the spine to hold it together? Any other ideas?

buck_and_spine.JPG

dont use bleach!!!!!!

you could boil that thing for a while, then soak it in hydrogen peroxide

that'll clean it up pretty good

i agree, it would look pretty good with the spine attached like that!!!

I dont think the spine will hold together once cleaned up. You may have to glue all the vertibrae in place as the tendons and ligiments that hold it together will dissolve and dissapear. I have never seen a spine in the wild that had held together after drying out.

I think you're probably right. We're going to try and drill out a long hole and pin it with rebar. Hopefully it will work. It not I'll go euro with it and call it good. Thanks for the input.

The whole in the vertabraes should be large enough to send some kind of metal rod thru. You should not have to drill anything out. I did a pheasant this way not to long ago that my beetles cleaned, and it turned out really good. It's just keeping them in order if you are going to boil them.
And I agree with THA4 do not use bleach it will eventually eat the bone away.
When you boil it put some peroxide in the water with it and it will cut down on some time later.

You will have to clean all the pieces individually and then put it all back together.

If you don't, you won't be able to get all the "goody" out of the skull and it will stink like crap! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

That would be a unique mount! I'd do as Ghost said. Boil it, power wash it and clean all the pieces separately. "Sal soda, or soda ash in your boiling water will help break down the flesh and tissue". I like to use powdered borax and hot water as an after boil cleaning. A dip in peroxide and a few days in a sunny window will really whiten him up. Use hot glue or clear epoxy to put the pieces back together. And make sure to post pics of the finished product! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

CO is getting me a salvage tag for this buck. Thanks for the tip guys. I tried to get a handful of them but he wasn't biting.

When I get it finished up I'll post a pic.

Top Bottom