Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Need Opinions /Help

Trapshooter1

Ok so I just put up a new treestand for late season and the rut. I m struggling with what wind direction to hunt this stand. (This is probably going to be my best tree stand/ spot period.) It's in/on the edge of a bedding area where there is heavy heavy deer traffic. And within 20 yards of the field. In the mornings they generally come from the south and southwest and south east and pass right by the tree stand, going to there beds. Which is to the north. And vice versa for the evening hunts north to south bedding to food. I'm very close to where the deer bed. (my only option since I'm so close would be to go in under dark with a southwest wind and stay all day) to not bust the deer. And if I leave they'll all break.) I'd like to hear all opinions and see if anyone's got any stands like this??????

Ok so I just put up a new treestand for late season and the rut. I m struggling with what wind direction to hunt this stand. (This is probably going to be my best tree stand/ spot period.) It's in/on the edge of a bedding area where there is heavy heavy deer traffic. And within 20 yards of the field. In the mornings they generally come from the south and southwest and south east and pass right by the tree stand, going to there beds. Which is to the north. And vice versa for the evening hunts north to south bedding to food. I'm very close to where the deer bed. (my only option since I'm so close would be to go in under dark with a southwest wind and stay all day) to not bust the deer. And if I leave they'll all break.) I'd like to hear all opinions and see if anyone's got any stands like this??????
Is there an option to get super high? Would a straight West or East wind be benificial?

Not an option to get super high. I barely found a tree big enough to put a stand in. I had 2 tree options and the rest are small and its super brushy. Stand is 15 foot up. East wind will get busted right away that'll blow right into the heavy traffic. West wind will also get busted cause of traffic from south and east.

I have a stand very similar to your situation; on the edge of a bedding area with food source to my south. Deer feed to south of stand in the evening and morning and move back north and west after feeding around 7:30 am. I have 1 tree that works, most of the time. I can only hunt with a south wind. In mornings I use the thermals to my advantage as my scent usually stays above deer until 10:30 or so. If you don't call, you can get away with sitting longer, but once your scent starts hitting the ground its either silent time or time to climb down. I can sneak out due to a ditch that is hidden from the bedding areas to north. It took me years to figure this spot out, but have seen every buck on my farm use this area and has led to some great opportunities. I rarely call from this stand, the action is great without calling. I also only walk-in in the morning while deer are up on feeding area, if I want to hunt evening, it's an all day sit. My advice, don't wait till it's perfect or you will never hunt your best spot. Hunting late season will make it tricky getting out in late morning, everything seems louder and crunchier but think positive, you will probably have a buck on the ground and walking out won't be an issue

Top Bottom