Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Need opinions on decoy use

bpbowhunter

I would like to hear some opinions on use of decoys from some of you successful turkey hunters. This is my first year hunting turkey...and I am going at it with a bow and blind. I am in their bedroom as far as where they are roosting most the time. Have been using a hen and jake decoy mostly. Once out out just the hen but it was a really slow morning, only saw one other hen. Most the Toms I have brought in with calls are hanging up on me around 60-80 yds. Only Tom that came in was because a hen come from a different direction so he finally decided to come in and follow her....which I drew back twice and didn't get a shot, then made me realize just how tough this is with a bow! What do all recommend as far as number of decoys to have out, the gender, and any other useful tips?

I have always felt that location has alot to do with how decoys work. Sometimes it seems like if they can see the situation from a distance then they are more apt to commit. I have had a few negative reactions from birds that were almost surprised by the decoys.
Now onto the decoys. Ive had birds run into everything from old worn out feather flex foam decoys and ive had them skirt my dave smiths.... turkeys have a brain the size of a walnut and somedays they are dumb as a box of rocks.
I mostly use a dave smith jake and a dave smith hen even though im convinced that the jake is the game changer.
My experiences with a lone hen has been less than stellar and usually ends up with a longbeard hanging up and waiting for the hen to him.
A full strut decoy can be great but there will be a handful of 2 yr old birds that wont come near it on certain days.
Last but maybe the most important is motion. You dont want your decoys looking like statues sitting in an open field, adding motion to them will add alot more bloody arrows and turkeys in the back of your truck.

Dsd jake and at least one hen while trying to fill a bow tag. I only use a hen later in the year with the shotgun. I believe it's all about the turkeys mood. I also believe there is about a five day period when most toms will come to anything and I think that time has passed already. The later in the year it gets the harder it is to bring them into bow range. This time of year I would focus more on hunting them on their way back to roost in the evening or hunt mid afternoon. Not saying you can't kill one in the morning so hunt every chance ya get just an observation I've made over the years. There is a lot of second guessing in turkey hunting but my advice is to just keep after it and eventually it will happen.

I also like to set the decoys within 5 yards of the blind, so if the bird hangs up 20-30 yards from the decoys they are still in range.

Top Bottom