Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Need Reccommendations?

Liv4Rut

What is your favorite cold weather gear? I am looking at artic shield H1 system, just haven't even ever seen it. I am wondering if anyone knows if it is loud or not? Basically I am looking for most likely a 4 in 1 parka and bibs, waterproof and windproof is a must, what do you guys and gals reccommend when the temps are below zero? I have a feeling it's gonna be a long late season
grin.gif

I have the arctic shield glommits and they are loud as hell. They crinkle louder the colder it gets and though I havn't seen the coat and pants they're putting out, I'd be willing to bet that they're loud as hell as well.

You want to be warm, look into getting some Filson clothing to wear under something quiet. NOTHING beats Filson.

I got the H3 bibs and the H1 parka this year. (Sierra Trading Post didn't have the bibs in my size so I got those from Sportsmans Guide. My size, hell even the smallest size Arctic Shield makes (medium)is too big for me. Had to make alterations so I wasn't swimming in them.
frown.gif
) Anyway....

The bibs are very quiet actually. The coat is pretty crinkly sounding. I've only hunted with the bibs so far this year because it hasn't been cold enough to wear the parka. I might wear a layer over it tomorrow to quiet it down? I don't know if the H3 jacket is quieter than the H1, but there is a difference to me between them. I would look at them both in person somewhere if you could. I'll find out just how warm they are tomorrow.
shocked.gif

Edited to add: The material collects stick-tights, burrs and whatnot like crazy!
mad.gif

Wool. Trust me, I know cold weather. Get a wind proof jacket and pants and go wool. I shed hunt in -20+ temps wearing a tshirt, wind jacket and wool. Mind you I'm moving but wool doesn't fail me when I sit either.

Damn, I thought that the gray wolf was out of business. Tough to think about spending $700 on a coat and bibs, but probably wouldn't be buying another set ever.

You thinking the wolfskin or going all out with the wool lined clothes Limb?

So far, I've only got the Arcticshield "system gloves" These consist of a lightweight inner glove that goes inside a convertible mitten. What a like about the liner is that they are thin enough that I can shoot my release with them on, but if my hands get cold, I just put on the outer mitten and warm things back up. If I had a deer coming in and wanted to take a shot, I'd just take off the mitten from my release hand and take the shot.

Earlier today I took the plunge of an Arcticshield jacket and bibs from Sierra Trading Post. They were on sale so I thought I'd give them a try. Will be testing them out the rest of the year and can report back on how they work.

Kaare's idea on a windbreaker is a good one. Bobby Worthington wrote an article in NAW about layering and he advised the same thing. On colder days like we're having now, I like to wear a pair of non-cotton long underwear, a sweatshirt, a windbreaker jacket, and then my Scentlok jacket. The windbreaker does make a big difference. Kaare's suggestion about wool is also a good one. Wool retains its insulating properties even when wet.

Hobart sent me a Jacket. Although I am a little "thick" for it, it is the warmest jacket I have worn. If I had money waiting to be spent I would give Ravenwear a try. Made in Canada of all places.
blush.gif

I have a friend (believe it or not) and his wife sews for a living. I have been on the lookout for camo wool for several years......just not that readily available. I can get wool through work.....but Scarlet, Black, Royal are not the best to use for camo. Another guy from work (from Maine) makes some awesome Wool Socks....I am a believer that wool is the ticket for cold weather hunts.

I really like the hidden wolf woolens (now gray wolf woolens) clothes. The tight knit wool is wind resistant and they are not bulky like a typical 4-in-1 parka. The only bad thing is that when it rains or snows, I smell like a sheep
grin.gif

treerat, do you have the full blown jacket or did you go with one of their pullovers?

I have a complete set of Wool from Gray Wolf and its great. Also another place to look is Day One Camo. They make some great camo in all kinds of materials with and without windblock. I have a set of these too and their great.
http://www.dayonecamouflage.com/

I second wool. From experience though, use the wool as an under layer when things get real cold and especially.....windy. I own and have owned some of the upper end wool products.
Over the last couple years I've changed my mind on how it needs to be worn. I think the way a lot of it is marketed it just plain wrong and misleading! Having wool as an exterior garment, especially in windy conditions just doesn't always cut it. Some brands have a wind lining underneath the wool, it should be the other way around.

The way to go is having a breathable wind blocking clothe over top of the wool. Then you've got something as warm as you'll find.

As far as recommending a specific product. Cabelas camo wool fatigue sweaters are simply awesome. I couldn't get through a season without one anymore. They are reasonably priced also.

I like the King of the Mountain "Trapper Pullover" for the moderately cold days without to much wind. It's got a tighter weave that is somewhat more wind resistant. It's tough to get a good lining jacket over top of it for the real windy days though.

I have a good friend who owns some of the of the Gray Wolf stuff, he tells me it's not as wind resistant as they advertise either.

The drawback to wool is that it is a burr magnet and what a pain in the B if you get them full. I like to roll them up and put them in my pack too and from stand. Keeps me from sweating and getting full of burrs.

From waist down, I'd recommend a wool blend long underwear over top of a poly product. I like to where the Cabelas Microtex pants over everything.

Where I whitetail hunt, wool or fleece could be an intermediate layer, but not outer. I can pick out cockleburrs, but those little sticky ones take hours to pick out. Wool and fleece suck those up like a vacuum cleaner.

I personally dont like the feel of wool so I try to go with sythetics. My bottom two layers are the same stuff used as the military that you can get at Cabelas. For a base I wear long underwear that are 100% polyester. They are light weight but the tight fit helps you retain heat and wick away moisture. For and intermediate layer I wear a Polartec Polyester Top and bottom. For an outer layer I would say anything that is Gortex and wind resistent is best.

I have hunted late muzzleloader when the temps have been down to -20 degrees and stayed pretty darn comfortable. I also have the Artic Shield Gloves which I think are worth their wieght in gold for keeping your hands warm. For boots I have a nice pair of surplus Mickey Mouse boots.

The best advice I can give is that whatever you chose make sure that whatever you use as a base layer is breathable and has moisture wicking properties. Often times people put on to many layers and think that the clothing is at fault when they are freezing cold. Sweat and trapped moisture will definitely make it a misreable hunt.

Muddy, I have the jacket with the windproof lining. I am not sure if the design changed much since the company changed hands.

I purchased several of the wolfskin products (Gray Wolf Woolins) about 5 years ago - parka, bibs, vest and bomber cap - all insulated and w/the windproof lining. I wear the bibs & vest all the time, however, I've only worn the parka once or twice - great for late-season muzzleloader, but I have no idea how anyone could bowhunt in it...I feel like the Michelon Man when I wear it
icon_sumo.gif
Quality clothing, but I can't say it's that much warmer than some of my other cold-weather gear.

If anyone is considering GWW I would recommend spending the extra $$$ and go with the wool + windproof lining.

FYI - Try and place your order with time to spare before the season. The garments are a bit stiff at first, but eventually break in nicely. Also, every order I've placed has taken longer than expected, though I will say it was worth the wait.

Their backpacks are wool also
waytogo.gif

Cheap keeping warm tips, I've put it on here before, go buy some thermacare back belts from wal-mart pharmacy, just don't put them on 'til you get to the stand or you'll sweat like crazy. on that note, layer just like everyone said, but keep minimal layers on while walking to stand. finally, you can't beat wool underlayers, but it's expensive, UNLESS you go to a local thrift store and buy it. I bought four wool sweaters the others day for a dollar each. Who cares what color they are when they're underneath. Just make sure you don't buy acrylic -- won't do half the job of wool at keeping you warm. Polyester long underwear bottoms will also help bunches -- as has already been said, wics away moisture. Hope that helps for the hunters on a budget like me...

How do you care for wool garments? Can you wash in the scent free soap? I have a Filson wool vest that I don't think is machine washable, I presume it is dry clean only. I have worn it bird hunting as a liner under their bird hunting jacket. I never thought of wearing it bowhunting due to the smell but it would make a nice cozy under layer.

Top Bottom