Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Need some advice

Fletch

Back in august I received permission to hunt some pretty good ground. I spent some time getting to know the farmer and offering to help him with some chores, etc. About four weeks ago I went in to check a stand, and in the very same tree someone else has put a stand. It was probably a honest mistake since I use a portable so all that's in the tree is the API T hook and a bow rope. I stopped and talked with the landowner and he says, "Another guy asked to hunt. He stopped by the house the other day and said he apparently put a stand in the same trees as you. He said he won't be hunting very much and will have the stand out before the end of the week." I told the landowner that I could move mine and he said no I shouldn't have to.

Well it's been 4 weeks and the stand is still there. I won't sit in his stand (doesn't seem right and besides the thing is a death trap held together with wire, chains, and plywood). Unfortunately I can't get past it to put in my stand. Should I pull it out and set it at the base of the tree, or suck it up and abandon this particular stand site? It is the perfect setup on an inside corner, with two doe bedding areas on either side, where the deer funnel through a downed section of fence. It doesn't look like he has used it (although it's difficult to tell), and the landowner did mention this guy had other properties to hunt.
confused.gif

Any advice?

ask the land owner for the guys name, call him.
If he was going to pull it by the end of the week and hasn't... If you and the land owner are on the same page, I'd pull it.

I agree with Rudd. I would explain to the landowner that you are unable to hunt that tree with his stand in place and he has not had time to remove it so, being the nice guy you are you will go ahead and take it down for him, give him a call and let him know where he can pick it up at.
waytogo.gif

I'd yank it and take it to the landowners place also. What kind of hunter places his stand in a tree that he knows another hunter is going to hunt from? Four weeks is way to long, especially if he said he'd have it out in one. Maybe he left it up there purposely so you couldn't hunt from the tree. Unfortunately there are people out there who do those sorts of things.
CRITR

TAKE IT DOWN! Hunt out of YOUR stand......shoot a big buck! sounds like a good plan to me!
peace.gif

Top Bottom