Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Need some help on a teachable moment.

kam582

Had about a 30 yard shot at a decent buck last Friday evening. Took the shoot, heard a good thud, and had the deer run off about 50 yards. He stood there for about 20 seconds, and then moved on. Was hunting near a gravel road, and had a car come by. How it affected the buck I don't know.

I waited about an hour and went to find my arrow. It was apparently a pass through, which I have only had one other. I shot a doe a couple of weeks ago, and had a pass through on the lungs. That arrow was coated with blood, and the doe ran 50 yards and fell over. The blood in this arrow was spotty, nothing like the doe arrow. I went to where he had been standing and there was good blood. He crossed the road, still with good blood, but after about 200 yards from where I shot him, the blood just quit. He went on some ground that is owned by a real jerk, and I backed out and asked my neighbor, who is related to the jerk, to call him and tell him that I was going to look for the deer the next day. The jerk insisted that I wait until 1000 so he could be there, and in an effort to get along, I agreed.

Anyhow, to shorten the story, four of us looked for 4 hours and did not find the deer. I have no idea where I hit the deer, (do I need to invest in Luminox?) but, after thinking about it, I wonder if I hit it low. The razor head had a couple of white hairs caught in it. My teachable moment from you all is, is it possible to hit a deer low, get a pass through, have it bleed enough that you, and your buddies are convinced it was a lung shot, but not hit any vitals? The deer was not within three quarters of a mile of where I shot him. We covered the ground very thoroughly. And as I said, the blood just quit completely. I know they can go along ways, and I was convinced that deer was dead, but now I am not so sure. I have lost a couple of deer before, but they have all been with shoulder bone shots, where I did not get penetration. I knew, or was at least pretty sure, that those deer survived. This one has me stumped. Any comments will be appreciated. I feel terrible about this deal, thinking that deer might be dead somewhere.

Man, tough to know without an idea of shot placement. If you had good blood and a passthrough and it went that far, I'm GUESSING it may have been a single lung/liver shot. I've seen white hair in that instance on a high angling shot that enters a little low and back and comes out the belly area. Should be a darker red blood however. Just tracked one last week for a buddy with that identical shot and he went about 300 yds and piled up. We started with great blood and it trickled down to very small spots after about 200 yds. Might also see some clots with that shot.

Brisket, back hams, backstraps, lower front legs, low gut....all of these scenarios could produce what you describe. Hard to guess for me what may have occurred. Sorry you lost your deer. Keep after it!

Top Bottom