Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Need some help! Options after hay...

DMiller6868

I've acquired a new piece of property and the owner cuts hay in all of his fields.

I'm looking for any ideas of anything I could plant after the fields are cut that wouldn't mess up the hay for next year...

The farmer said he had clover and some alfalfa in with the hay but once it's gone I''m afraid all the deer will leave the property.

Is winter wheat an option? Is tilling or discing necessary? I'd do some clover but know it usually doesn't do so great in the first year.

Oats, Rye, Winter wheat? Is drilling a better option if I can find the equipment?

Thx for any help!

You really cant put anything in that wont harm his hay ground. That is pretty much just alike a food plot anyways. Alfalfa is one of the best, people just dont use it because it has to be managed. Deer wont leave this property, if its only green forage still available later it will be great.

Im afraid everything will be gone once it all gets cut. Am I thinking about this right? I went up to the property today and it just looked like grass and the deer didn't seem too interested...

A good hayfield should make great food plot, if it already has clover and alfalfa in it. You should have some regrowth after the last cutting of hay that the deer will graze.

Have you talked to the land owner? I would assume he doesn't want you messing with his hay ground. Definately no disking. A good stand of alfalfa is as good as you could ask for to atrract deer.

Have you talked to the land owner? I would assume he doesn't want you messing with his hay ground. Definately no disking. A good stand of alfalfa is as good as you could ask for to atrract deer.

Yes we've chatted. He's given us an acre to plant in whatever.

What about drilling some wheat or clover or something that he could cut and use later for his cows? Any thoughts?

Some of the best forage in a hayfield is after being cut. The new growth is what the deer want anyways so unless he is mowing right before a frost, there will be good food for deer there and if clover/alfalfa is in the field, they will be on it after the cuttings.

You could buy him some more clover seed to frost seed in to the fields yearly to help him out and you out.

If he gave you an acre, solid clover would be hard to beat. It will stay green most of the year and he can hay it for you to keep new, fresh growth there for deer.

Top Bottom