Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

need some help.

beararchery

The other day when it was nice out I messed around with the bow I got that's draw length is about 27, my original draw is 29. So the arrows I have are cut for 29 in draw and are a lot longer than needed. But while shooting my 10, 20, and 30 yard pins were almost touching, but once I shot for 40 there was a huge drop. So my first three pins are close and my 40 and 50 are about a inch or so apart.

Anyone know why its doing this? I thought it was the speed of the bow but I doubt that, or just need paper tuned. But I almost think its just how much longer the arrows are for the draw. Any ideas?

I would think if you were sighted in with a 29 inch draw then went to 27 you would lose like 20fps, i cant remember the rule of thumb per inch of draw. Then on top of that you probably have 18 to 20 grains heavier arrow, so i would bet its a speed issue. I was suprised at how much closer my longer pins were when i upgrades from a 260fps.bow to a 290fps bow.

I shoot pretty much from 0 to 30 yards with just one pin, from 0 to 20 I hold about dead on, at 30 I aim maybe an inch higher.Otherwise I wound up with a cluster of pins I really didnt need and I like to keep things simple when possible.

Practicing I found out between 30 and 40 yrds my arrow drops a lot and I would need to add a pin, or else hold almost a foot higher to get in the same spot at 40 yards.My old bow was the exact same way.I dont know the technical terms but mine just seems to lose a ton of energy in that 10 yrds between 30 and 40 yrds.I limit my shots to 30 yards or closer while hunting with most of them being under 20 yrds.Im sure it will kill a deeer at 40 yrds but I like to get close whenever possible.

This is normal. After 30 yards the amount of speed loss is exponentially higher than 0-30I as is the amount of energy lost. With arrows hanging 2" over, this will increase the drop as well. As a "rule", about 10fps is lost per inch of draw reduction, 1 fps per every 4 grains, and 2fps per # of draw weight.

My old bow is a lot slower than my new one and didn't have much of a drop from 30 to 40, so that's why I suspected it to be the arrows.

Top Bottom