Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Need some instruction for corn foodplot

bbloom96

This year is my first year planting spring and fall food plots and things went well. I have an excellent 3 acre plot of clover and an additional 3 acres soybeans planted this spring. I have scattered plots totalling 3 acres of milo. I just planted 1 acre of brassicas and another 2 acres of Austrian Winter Peas mixed with forage oats this week. I have no corn and was hoping to plant 5 acres of corn next spring, but I need to know how to prepare a sod bound brome pasture for planting next spring.
1. Hay this fall?
2. Spray round-up this fall?
3. Lime this fall?
4. Work in lime with disc?
5. till or drill in Spring?
6. Fertilize prior to planting?
7. Best type of corn to use?
8. Round-up after planting?
9. This will be a standing plot throughout the season. Any layout suggestions to improve huntability would be helpful.
Any information would be helpful.

I also do not have any alfalfa. Should I plant alfalfa in strips around the corn plot or have strips in the plot 20' wide?

thanks.

1. Hay this fall?
Hay now of soon so that there is some regrowth yet this fall.

2. Spray round-up this fall?
Spray regrowth this fall to kill sod.

3. Lime this fall?
Yes.

4. Work in lime with disc?
Take soil test and lime accordingly. Leave lime on top to work itself in over the winter, not completely necessary to till it in. If you wait until spring, then you might want to disc it in.

5. till or drill in Spring?
No-till corn into dead sod in spring.

6. Fertilize prior to planting?
Corn LOVES nitrogen, have you priced fertilizer lately? Hire someone to knife anhydrous if money is no object. If anhydrous is applied, do it a week or so before planting. Some people knife anhydrous in the fall but you lose some over the winter.

Maybe find a no-till planter that has a fertilizer attachment, but it is rare to put enough fertilizer down in this fashion.

7. Best type of corn to use?
Anything Round-up ready (for ease of herbicide management).

8. Round-up after planting?
As needed.

Just my opinions as there are a ton of ways you could go to plant corn.

Top Bottom