Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Never a Dull Moment Part 2

This is the 3rd fail that I've heard from winchester users this year.
1st one, the guy found the slug and a bunch of hair where he shot the deer....the friggin slug BOUNCED off the deer!
2nd one, the guy hit the deer, found only a little blood and a bone chip.

Both of these occasions were on the biggest deer these guys have ever shot at.

I have a feeling there are a lot more of these that have happened this year...

Last edited:
Ur lucky you are able to type this!

Big time! I've heard of a similar situation with a muzzleloader years back. Don't know the details of what went wrong, but the gun came apart and severely injured the guys hand and minor injury to the face. Sounds like that guy is lucky to be alive.
Glad you're OK, bud. Count your blessings!

You're lucky you didn't lose any fingers. That happened to me when duck hunting with my 870 Wingmaster pump about 10 years ago. As you can see from the pic below, my barrel exploded and ended up looking like Elmer Fudd's when Bugs Bunny sticks something in the end. The sound I heard was different than a dud shell, and I should've stopped right there, but didn't. It was sooo loud, and had me legitimately shellshocked. I was looking all over my body for any kind of blood, but I got lucky. Had the dog right next to me also unscathed, and I would imagine there were BB's flying everywhere.

I guess it happens when the powder is a little wet or doesn't fire. The pressure of the firing pin is enough to get the wad out the shell and halfway down the barrel. Your next round will eject and load like normal, but your next shell will hit the one in the barrel and blow it up.

I sent it into Remington, and they replaced the barrel and the entire trigger assembly - essentially giving me a completely new gun. But, they kept the barrel.

Since that happened, I've heard of many other similar stories of guys losing fingers or eyes.

Last edited:
Super scary stuff man! I had an old shot shell leave a wad in my barrel once. It just made a "thunk" sound when I fired it and you could actually hear the bbs slide out of the barrel. Glad I took it apart to check it because the wad was only halfway down the barrel! Those shells had been in my garage for about 6 years. Learned to not leave my shells subject to humidity. Glad you're alright man!

This is the 3rd fail that I've heard from winchester users this year.
1st one, the guy found the slug and a bunch of hair where he shot the deer....the friggin slug BOUNCED off the deer!
2nd one, the guy hit the deer, found only a little blood and a bone chip.

Both of these occasions were on the biggest deer these guys have ever shot at.

I have a feeling there are a lot more of these that have happened this year...

The deer that get away are always the biggest :D

I was talking with some guys last night that have been having problems with a lot of different slugs this year. I am pretty sure Winchesters came up. One said that a guy had several misfires and another had a hang fire. Someone measured the space between the back of the brass and the primer. They ranged from 8-12mm, and should be something with less gap. Another kid had issues with Lightfields. The old slugs were dead on at 75 yds. Missed a deer, went to make sure everything was still on. Barely hit a large box spread out at 75yds.

I think manufacturers are getting a little sloppy with tolerances with trying to keep up with demand and making slugs to fast.

I had this happen shooting skeet on my 870 when I pumped the action too quickly. What happened was I started pumping to fire again as soon as I pulled the trigger, flames shot out the breech and I'm guessing with no back pressure the shell lost velocity to clear the barrel. Luckily I noticed and cleared the round in time. Glad you're ok Chief, sounds like a killable deer though so you'll get him!

Post it again. Call them. I would raise hell if they were new shells and they never got wet. If they could have gotten wet I'd probably just count your blessings

Man that was a close one! Was that in fact a Mossberg rifled barrel? My son shoots that in a 20 ga. I buy him the expensive sabot rounds for it and have never had any trouble. I dont think you want to shoot the cheaper "rifled" slugs through those barrels

Post it again. Call them. I would raise hell if they were new shells and they never got wet. If they could have gotten wet I'd probably just count your blessings
X2. This happened to me with hornady shells once. They had me send the barrel in to them and they sent me back a new one.

Top Bottom