Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Never a Dull Moment

TheMadCatter

This once in a lifetime stuff seems to happen to me on a daily basis...

Today, I woke up and decided to head out with a buddy of mine to go after my target buck because I had seen him on the property the day before. Long story short, buddy didn't wake up, I missed...twice.

Aside from that, Dad wanted to go hunting with me. Around 1:30 he got home from church and we were on the road going at 2:15. As we drove we checked every entry to our property and not a single tire track was on it! We've never had this before. Disappointment came ten-fold when we approached our spot. We got out of the pick-up and spotted shells on the road and in our field. We didn't let it mess with the hunt, but as we were examining the shells we heard a loud...buck roar? My Dad said "Was that a hog?" I said "I sure hope not! I think it's a buck!" we snuck down through some brome and followed the noise. Then we heard it, DOGS. I knew it was the strays I let live last year! I told my Dad to stay in the brome and I went to check it out. I kept following the sound and then saw two dogs attacking a shed buck in the water. I raised my gun and fired at one of the wild dogs, but missed. I ran down and didn't even know what to do. I took a few videos of the buck and I knew which one it was. I saw he was chest deep in the water and it looked like his back legs were trapped. The creek walls are extremely steep and I emptied my pockets and helped him get his legs unstuck then he decided to go deeper in the water...chest deep on me! I finally was able to get him to the creek bank and pulled him up on to the top basically carried him. I called my Dad to come over, he thought I had shot a buck or something. He was as surprised as me finding this shed buck. We both noticed it and there was no denying something was wrong with it's leg. I started working his muscles like you would a baby calve that was cold and he warmed up a little and perked up finally. He's looking OK now but his leg is pretty messed up hopefully tomorrow he's gone (either type of gone). I'll use my landowner antler less tag on him if he's not doing good in the morning...we'll just see what happens. He's a great 3 year old buck that I hope lives, because he was sure a stud of a 3 year old until he busted up his rack.

Forgot to mention, Dad found a shed to the buck I shot. It was his right side from 2008, we were amazed! Only an inch of antler was showing and he found it, he knew it was my buck too (I'm training him well) I now have his 2008-2009 right side, 2009-2010 left side, 2012-2013 right side, and both his 2014-2014 sides ;)

Last edited:
Unreal. Now THAT'S creating some history with a deer! Saved him today and 2 years down the road you'll shoot him.

You really do have some of the craziest stories and happenings when you are afield, I use to have my doubts, but with all the pics to accompany a lot of your stories you certaintly have some cred. I think you really do need a camera crew to follow you around!! Any updates on if the buck survived, was he still there dead or gone?

You really do have some of the craziest stories and happenings when you are afield, I use to have my doubts, but with all the pics to accompany a lot of your stories you certaintly have some cred. I think you really do need a camera crew to follow you around!! Any updates on if the buck survived, was he still there dead or gone?

Just check on him, he went about 10 yards (trying to get up) and it's raining and with lack of coat on him...he didn't make it. I'm still going to put my tag on him and look for his sheds, just seems like the right thing to do. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have another update with his sheds, he was a heck of an 8pt buck to lose.

Hats off to you, TH. You did all you could do. And did it the right way as most of us would see it. Class act on your part. Enjoy your venison!

He probably died from the stress, the dogs put on him.

It will be interesting to hear if you find any other older injuries that would have caused him to drop early.

Top Bottom