Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

New archery world record?? with PIC.

This is soooooo classic. The Whitetail world has been aware of this deer but it has only started to become public. One asks why. Unless you are in the "game" few hunters realize the pressures and pitfalls that something like this produces.

Congratulations to the hunter. However, consult with people in the game so that the deer gets ALL of the recognition that such a magnificent animal deserves. And so that you can cope with the pressure.

I've seen this buck many times this year (and congrats to the hunter!!!!).... But.... with how far out he's holding the buck and the angle of rack to the deer's head, etc, etc - he just doesn't look 206" to me. I absolutely could be wrong & he could be every bit of that BUT had I seen it at a glance I would have guessed 180's to 190, maybe low 90's, maybe. I absolutely could be wrong but just my gut reaction. and again, congrats to the hunter, not trying to take away from a great buck.

I am rooting for Mel to keep the title. Taking a mature buck off the ground, with a recurve, and have it be a 204" typical???? Talk about everything having to be perfect...

I am rooting for Mel to keep the title. Taking a mature buck off the ground, with a recurve, and have it be a 204" typical???? Talk about everything having to be perfect...

I could go either way on that.

Back when Mel was hunting, there probably wasn't the hunting pressure we see today. I walk the fence at one property and I see tree stands on every adjoining parcel. In such areas, tough for deer to get BIG.

The flip side is people today who control vast tracts of ground, plant tons of food plots and essentially farm the deer like livestock. Is that a fair comparison to what Mel faced?

Either way, records are made to be broken or we wouldn't "keep score".

I could go either way on that.

Back when Mel was hunting, there probably wasn't the hunting pressure we see today. I walk the fence at one property and I see tree stands on every adjoining parcel. In such areas, tough for deer to get BIG.

The flip side is people today who control vast tracts of ground, plant tons of food plots and essentially farm the deer like livestock. Is that a fair comparison to what Mel faced?

Either way, records are made to be broken or we wouldn't "keep score".

Back then they were lucky to see a few deer a week...

I think what Hunt Iowa is saying is this could be the only picture we ever see of him. Obviously he has been measured once and will be measured again but we may never know the real story.

My guess is Field and Stream was the first to blink. Is it applying pressure on the hunter to share the story. They obviously couldn't get it, so they slightly went around it.

What's everyone think about that? He doesn't have to share his story. It's my understanding that this possibly could happen. Myself, I understand both sides of the issue. I respect the hunter either way. Myself, I would share. For some reason by not, just creates suspicion but maybe not.

Thoughts?

I think what Hunt Iowa is saying is this could be the only picture we ever see of him. Obviously he has been measured once and will be measured again but we may never know the real story.

My guess is Field and Stream was the first to blink. Is it applying pressure on the hunter to share the story. They obviously couldn't get it, so they slightly went around it.

What's everyone think about that? He doesn't have to share his story. It's my understanding that this possibly could happen. Myself, I understand both sides of the issue. I respect the hunter either way. Myself, I would share. For some reason by not, just creates suspicion but maybe not.

Thoughts?

Creates attention. Non stop calling from cabelas, bass pro, ect. Trying to buy it. People could steal it. Personally I wouldn't want the attention either

Anyone hear about a 200"er that a 9 year old girl shot in Tama county? My brother heard about it while at a feed store in Toledo. That's all we've heard though.

Thoughts?
If I was to harvest one of that caliber I would probably share, but that would be after there was some new security devices installed. Up here in small town Iowa its still a pretty much safe place to live, but all of that can go by the wayside when someone see's an opportunity to make a quick chunk of change. The Andrews buck from Independence is the one that comes to mind right away. No matter what you wouldn't be able to keep it a complete secret and you shouldn't want to anyway. That deer deserves to be seen as it is an amazing animal, but with that comes alot of jealousy, greed, pressure, and other things.

That is EXTREMELY well said bigbuckhunter. It is impossible to comprehend if you have not been around something like this. A wise hunter would solicit some advice for things to consider. If it were me, for a bunch of reasons I would hire a competent attorney. This hunter is gonna need one for sure !!!!!!!!

Oh no here we go...I have not heard a wisper about this deer. But if you got some time to waste and want a good read go to archery talk and read the giant thread about the Ohio buck a guy post on Nov 23. It looks to gross like 230 typical and its alive, or so they say. Poster seen the deer a few time and another guy watched it in the summer but it moved some distance. It looks to survived the gun season and well the ending is not over. If that buck gets shot it will ruin Ohio with its current laws.

http://www.ohiosportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?p=678694&posted=1

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2135056

Last edited:
GOarmy... I saw that picture awhile back on a different page, but there were two bucks almost identical... makes a person wonder how legit it really is?? Not saying that it couldnt be..but.......

On a side note, I say congrats to this guy, I dont know about all of you, but I have never seen a 206 inch typical laying in front of me.. is this deer it? Sure could be... Pictures can be deceiving, as I know people that send me pics of deer that they say are 150, but I cant figure out how... I also look at a taxidermists page that they post the scores, and I cant figure out how they get the scores they do there either... I guess, when the final score comes up, we will know... until then, congrats, because I would LOVE to have that deer in the woods I hunt...

As far as I'm concerned, take the hunter and weapon out of the equation. No matter the opinion on records, etc.... It's a world class deer plain and simple. They just don't grow like that very often. Hence the fact that the Johnson and Hanson bucks have stood as WR's for so long.

Impressive

I don't blame this guy for not coming forward yet. Enough people around here know about it and the buzz is real, but I would want to have all my ducks in a row before I released this to the public. Not to mention it has to wait 60 days before being scored "officially". I'm sure he knows what he has on his hands and is just doing things carefully.

Oh no here we go...I have not heard a wisper about this deer. But if you got some time to waste and want a good read go to archery talk and read the giant thread about the Ohio buck a guy post on Nov 23. It looks to gross like 230 typical and its alive, or so they say. Poster seen the deer a few time and another guy watched it in the summer but it moved some distance. It looks to survived the gun season and well the ending is not over. If that buck gets shot it will ruin Ohio with its current laws.

http://www.ohiosportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?p=678694&posted=1

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=2135056

Now that looks like a world record. I am not good at how they are scored with some of the junk, deductions but comparing that deer to others- whoa, that's a mammoth, world record type stuff. Both those deer are incredible but for record books- the one above in link is in a different world by a long shot.

Deer

Years Ago I met Mel Johnson at the Illinois Deer classic and spoke to him about his buck. He was real down to earth and really acted like it was no big deal. Part I liked was him telling me the story face to face.

The Iowa buck in the above pic does not look 200 in to me. Maybe its just the pic and the angle?

You really have to give a buck all the credit it took to grow those antlers. all the private property and now with food plots and QDM being common place that record still has not been broken.

I would have though it would have been broken by now with a 220 typical from the Midwest some where like Iowa, Illinois or Kansas and Ohio as a sleeper. Maybe it has already by a big money land owner that has no need to put the buck out in the public eye? I though really have to wonder when I see some of these 300ish Non Typicals and where they may have started life in a pen or some ansestor released down the line? I hope its an Iowa buck that does it as there are lots of people putting in a ton of effort here just to some day kill a deer like that.

Top Bottom