Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

New bill SF 2047

I grew up in MN and moved to Iowa. #1 reason was because of the deer hunting. The ONLY reason Iowa is so good is because it is restricted! Just like private land is usually better than public,and why slot limit lakes have better fishing! I feel for people that grew up and moved away but those are choices they made. They can draw a tag just like the rest of the non residents.

Excellent post.

So, just to confirm....it IS possible to move here from Minnesota and get tags every year?:D

$75 for the license and a $100 scheduled fine,why would they even bother you would rhink they would just take there chances,it should be at least $1000 fine,but im guessing this will not pass like most of them

I grew up in MN and moved to Iowa. #1 reason was because of the deer hunting. The ONLY reason Iowa is so good is because it is restricted! Just like private land is usually better than public,and why slot limit lakes have better fishing! I feel for people that grew up and moved away but those are choices they made. They can draw a tag just like the rest of the non residents.

The ONLY reason? You are saying it has nothing to do with the December gun season?

I'll trade you Minnesota's November gun season, for 20,000 NR hunters in a heartbeat.

Hardwood...yes the gun season placed outside the rut in Iowa is the other main contributor to a good age structure in Iowa's deer herd(bucks). But that in itself is a hunt timing restriction of sorts compared to other states. I still own my farm in MN(have for the last 20 years), I know what the difference in the 2 states are.

If Iowa were to open the flood gates to NR hunters the quality would go way down. Look at the once hot states of Illinois, Wisconsin, and Kansas. Still some good deer but because of guaranteed tags not near what they use to or could be!

Last edited:
$75 for the license and a $100 scheduled fine,why would they even bother you would rhink they would just take there chances,it should be at least $1000 fine,but im guessing this will not pass like most of them

Because if they get caught with a deer, its gets a LOT more expensive. And, most people like to actually not break laws.

Hardwood...yes the gun season placed outside the rut in Iowa is the other main contributor to a good age structure in Iowa's deer herd(bucks in particular). But that in itself is a hunt timing restriction of sorts compared to other states. I still own my farm in MN(have for the last 20 years), I know what the difference in the 2 states are.

If Iowa were to open the flood gates to NR hunters the quality would go way down. Look at the once hot states of Illinois, Wisconsin, and Kansas. Still some good deer but because of guaranteed tags not near what they use to or could be!

I know the difference too, I've owned in Iowa/Minnesota/Ontario for many years. Who's asking for opening the flood gates?

Iowa has some of the best season structure (gun season in Dec) but also the worst season (late antlerless rifle).

The whole equation between NR farms--- the late season and amount of doe tags issued to residents can all fall into one questionable decision by the locals/DNR. I think they need to look at the overall picture of what is happening and figure out that NR tags were not and are not the issue.

That being said, I am not advocating for a flood gate response!!

Last edited:
I only used the flood gate scenario to compare Iowa to MN(and other states that allow open access to NR). The root of the whole problem right now in both states is the deer population. Without good deer numbers the age structure will suffer in any state!

I only used the flood gate scenario to compare Iowa to MN(and other states that allow open access to NR). The root of the whole problem right now in both states is the deer population. Without good deer numbers the age structure will suffer in any state!

That is true.

Hardwood

Just ignore this guy from now on. LITERALLY I know its tough, but we are just giving him what he wants by stooping to his level. Time to rid ourselves of this pest!

He has a history of antagonistic posts on other forums as well. I agree, Ignore.

He has a history of antagonistic posts on other forums as well. I agree, Ignore.

LOL! Listen to the stalker. Please, you must ignore anyone that might bring sound debate that stands in the way of your agenda. Yes, just ignore it. That should work. You two are absolutely priceless. :D:D

Hoosier, let me know if and when you ever decide to actually hunt in Iowa instead of just talk about it, maybe I can point you to some good ground next to a NRLO near Centerville. ;)

No....that doesnt work because I actually live here and dont complain about the current regulations.

Please go back to ignoring me......that was going to be a lot more fun.:rolleyes:

Also, please dont tell the Dieselfitter dude that I really do own ground. It will take away all his fun and crush his dreams.

A far cry from the 500 acres you claimed a couple of threads ago.

I guess you dont need to know where the rest is.......

I said owned and rented. And you still have not found it all. Nice try stalker.

Please resume ignoring me now....:p

Hardwood

Just ignore this guy from now on. LITERALLY I know its tough, but we are just giving him what he wants by stooping to his level. Time to rid ourselves of this pest!

Pest!!!! Iowa does not have the resources to open the gates. Look at the numbers

I know the difference too, I've owned in Iowa/Minnesota/Ontario for many years. Who's asking for opening the flood gates?

Iowa has some of the best season structure (gun season in Dec) but also the worst season (late antlerless rifle).

The whole equation between NR farms--- the late season and amount of doe tags issued to residents can all fall into one questionable decision by the locals/DNR. I think they need to look at the overall picture of what is happening and figure out that NR tags were not and are not the issue.

That being said, I am not advocating for a flood gate response!!

The only reason they are not the issue is because they have been restricted and need to remain so because of the grossly limited resource. Add Iowas estimated deer herd up. Added up the states harvest numbers. Compare these to other states with greater resources. Thing are greatly limited here and need treaded on very carefully.

I missed this bill's introduction.

http://coolice.legis.iowa.gov/Cool-ICE/default.asp?Category=billinfo&Service=Billbook&hbill=SF2047

At first read I'm OK with it, but I'm sure there is more here than meets the eye.

There has been a lot of rhetoric over the years about non residents coming home to hunt with family. This bill would go a long way to establish the person wanting to hunt is a past resident and "perhaps" family.

The question that I have is do these three day licenses then enable the licensee to buy OTC deer and turkey tags thereby skirting the NR draw system?

Pheasants, small game, fur bearers and waterfowl OK, OTC deer and turkey, no way. I'd need to see an amendment to the bill outlining the limitations to what they could hunt before I'd be in favor.

I get a daily PDF of bills introduced the day before. Some of these are 400 pages long. This bill was introduced on the 23rd. I missed it. The ICA did not. This is why I belong to several organizations and do my own homework as well. Between everybody watching and doing their own homework, nothing should get in under the radar.

As a resident hunter, I am OK with the bill.

Top Bottom