Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

New black powder substitute

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jkratz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I might have to try this stuff out. I have never had a problem with the 777 pellets, would put the accuracy of the pellets and a 200gr shockwave up against anything in the 100-200yd range, but the cleaning after every 3 shots is a real pain in the arse. If the accuracy can stay the same with the Buckhorn I will likely switch.Kratz</div></div>

This is the reason I was looking into Blackhorn also. 777 is very accurate but the continuous cleaning sucks. So far my groups have not changed. You do not have to clean as often using the Blackhorn and when you do clean, it's a lot easier than with 777 imo. 777 leaves that damn residue ring right away and that is a pain.

Like I said before I would like to play with this stuff more but so far so good. It is expensive though.

Anyone carry it around northeast Iowa. Places I have called are out and the hazmat shipping fee will kill ya!

I was reading that the powder doesnt shoot well with some primers why is this and what primer do i use instead.

I heard you gotta use the actual shotgun primers and not the 777 type muzzy primers because they are not hot enough. Don't know for sure, just what I've read.

The triple seven, and remington clean bore primers do not burn as hot at the typical 209 shotgun primer. This is an attempt to reduce the crud ring that you get from the triple seven powder. These do not burn hot enough to ignite the blackhorn powders. If you try it, apparently you will get hangfires or it will not ignite at all.

jjohnson said:
If your going to try this stuff make sure your using the right primers. DON'T USE: Winchester's 777 primers, Remington Kleanbore primers, or CCI's Muzzleloader primers.

quote]

Scheels in Cedar Falls just got some in today. They got 9 bottles left if anyone is interested. I bought one and am gonna try it in the next couple days. Thanks for the info everyone!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shadowpeople</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The triple seven, and remington clean bore primers do not burn as hot at the typical 209 shotgun primer. This is an attempt to reduce the crud ring that you get from the triple seven powder. These do not burn hot enough to ignite the blackhorn powders. If you try it, apparently you will get hangfires or it will not ignite at all. </div></div>

They actually recommend using "CCI 209M" shotshell primers NOTICE the M these are the magnum primers not just standard CCI 209s Ive been shooting these with a WEIGHED 88g. charge which is the equivilant of 124g by volume out of my Knight Longrange Hunter and have never had anything but instantaneous ignition. Also not only does the primer matter but the size of the hole in the breech plug has also been noted as a problem with some guns, if you shoot a Knight DO NOT use the stemmed plug or the convex, or domed pleg they have a smaller flash hole they say to use the concave plug which has a larger diameter flash hole. If you would like to read more on this powder check out http://www.hpmuzzleloading.com click the modern muzzleloading link and there you can find out most anything you need to know about this stuff

Top Bottom